The First Visit

Raindrops (Faint), Autumn Wind (Faint), Meditation Time

Something shifts as soon as the heavy doors slam shut behind them, she can feel it in the air. Her grip on the rabbit's damp fur tightens, and she doesn't realize she's almost wringing it dry until she feels the water seeping through her gloved fingers. They weren't just in some abandoned house.

They were Somewhere Else.

There was an awareness in the emptiness as if the place had paused to pay attention to its new visitors. Not as malicious as it was intimidating.

She had the feeling she had interrupted something.

"I'm sorry."

The words linger in the vacant space like fog before settling in with the dust. Nonetheless, she feels some of her tension ease, just enough to regain lost curiosity. She glances down at the companion in her hands. It seems to stare back, a surprised glint in its shiny black eyes.

Where did you come from?

"Oh, I..."

A low rumble comes from somewhere beneath the house, turning the girl's attention back to the matter at hand.

"I was exploring!"

She wanders into the archway left, into a room wall-to-wall with books and windows. She stares out into the storming woods outside, before slowly beginning to climb the spiral staircase in front of them. She turns back to the rabbit in her hand with puzzled concern, meeting those little eyes once more.

He seemed... lonely.

"...I wonder where you belong..."