Chapter 30: Arse is on Fire

Start from the beginning

It's not working too well, if the tightening of his grasp has anything to say about it.

"We'll continue this tomorrow."

I don't know who says it, whether its Alex, Jake or Penelope, I don't know. All I know is that one second the study is crowded with people and the next it's very much empty.

"The only male that will ever be inside you is me," he rumbles, voice harsh and gruff, "Both figuratively and literally."

I shudder, the muscles low in my stomach clenching. No! Don't let him turn you on! That just creates a distraction from a bunch of problems we need to fix!

"But it'll be a distraction we both need," he nibbles on my ear lobe and I gulp.

"Nick," I warn, but the firmness I wanted comes out breathless, "we need to work on a plan."

He doesn't listen, pulling the skin behind my ear with his teeth. I bite my lip, keeping my moan hidden as his hands start to wander.

They creep under my shirt, pressing against the bareness of my scarred stomach. They continue to move until brushing against the swell of my breasts.

"Nick," I shiver, eyes fluttering closed, "We need to work."

He hums against me, squeezing my flesh between his fingers. I swallow a moan, digging my nails into Nick's shoulders. He kisses and sucks at my neck while his fingers massage and knead my chest.

This time, I can't stop the sound that falls from my tongue, and I throw my head back to allow my mate more access. His touch makes my brain silent, and for once, I revel in its scream.

Nick groans, and a small grin finds its way onto my lips. It's such a masculine sound, that makes all the good feelings rise up to my throat, until one of the feelings isn't good.

I freeze, eyes opening and head lowering as I encounter a small epiphany. Nick halts in his actions as well, bringing himself away from my neck so our eyes meet, but keeping his hands attached to my chest.

"What is it?" he breathes and I stare at him for a second. My hands shake as I bring them up from my sides, tracing the sides of Nick's face.

There it is again.

That little twinge that rocks my entire body. It starts at my heart, spreading to the rest of me like a plague. A small hiss echoes at the back of my head as I run my thumb on Nick's bottom lip, watching his brow furrow in confusion.

"It's you," I whisper, only just audible, "she hates you."

The body beneath me stiffens, and Nick's hands fall from my shirt, coming to rest on my bare hips instead. He doesn't say anything for a little while, and maybe it's because I've shocked him, or perhaps it's because he can feel the burning of his skin on mine.

Only, not the good type of burning. It's the type of burning where you want the object off you as fast as humanly possible. And it hurts.

"Well," he says eventually, voice as pulled as a guitar string, "lets use that to our advantage."

I study his face, stomach sinking and filling at the same time as I find the coldness, almost resignation in his gaze.

"How?"

His grip tightens, and he gently picks me off his lap, placing me back in the seat I was in before. He looks down for a second before answering, pushing himself closer to his desk.

"As long as I stay close to you, you can't get taken over, so we stay together. She also hates me-" he swallows hard at that, "so being close to me and having her direct her emotion at me means she won't be as powerful as a separate being."