08 ⇾ park strolls & harrowing thoughts

As soon as Jean had woken up the next morning, all she wanted to do was curl up like a prawn and bury herself under a plethora of blankets and listen to Brad Paisley all day long

But she didn't have the heart to grab her phone from the nightstand and text Sebastian that she wasn't feeling well because the truth was, she was physically feeling alright but emotionally, she wasn't. And she didn't have the heart to cancel on him.

"I'll let you in on a little secret, Jean---no man would want a woman who's boring as fuck."

After she'd received an unexpected call from Terry last night, her heart felt like it'd been scratched and jabbed repeatedly by a rusted nail and as much as she wished for his profoundly venomous words to disappear into thin air, they just wouldn't. She'd come to Helen, with the hopes of escaping from all the things she'd went through over the past year, even if it was just for a little while.

"Guess he really wasn't the man I thought he was," she muttered to herself, her eyes trained on her fidgeting fingers as memories of the times they'd both shared flashed right before her like a slideshow.

She could feel the waterworks coming and she knew that Sebastian was going to be here soon, seeing as it was already a little after eight a.m. but she couldn't muster enough strength to pull herself out of the state she was in. Her head felt heavy. Her heart felt heavy. And they were both weighing her down and dragging her into an abyss.

"Have fun with your life, Jean because trust me, no one would even want to date you."

A sudden ding from Jean's phone was what tore her away from her unabating and grim thoughts, and she hesitated for a split second before grabbing it off the nightstand. It was a message from Sebastian:

see you in roughly thirty minutes, mermaid jean. also, remember to bring a beanie with you, it's pretty cold today. x

ps. i hope you're just as excited as i am for those waffles.

Oddly enough, the message alone was enough to pull the edges of her lips upward, a tiny smile playing on her lips now. Even though the smile didn't reach her eyes, the fact that Sebastian had even bothered to send her a message to remind her that she should wear a beanie out today warmed her heart---plus the little note towards the end of the whole text. Realizing that it was almost 8.30am, Jean hauled herself out of bed with the thought of having a good day with Sebastian on her mind before slipping into the bathroom to get herself ready for the day.

. . . . . .

The drive to the waffle house Sebastian had been raving about for the past fifteen minutes had been nothing but fun since the thirty-three year old man was practically acting like an overly-excited five year old by asking one too many questions.