1996 Tattinger Brut

Start from the beginning

"Oh, Rory, I'm just so happy for you, for both of you- this is such wonderful news!" She hugged her granddaughter and then, surprisingly, turned and hugged Logan just as Richard returned with glasses and an open bottle of 1996 Taittinger- one of his best bottles. In fact, the last time they had drank this vintage had been the night that Rory announced she would be attending Yale- he had held onto this bottle and a few others of the same for quite some time; secretly he always thought of it is as belonging to special moments with his granddaughter- he had another stowed away for her wedding and a few more he hoped to break out when she had children... or won her first Pulitzer. He had even gone so far as to leave them to her in his will- perhaps just an old sentimental fool's notion, but one that made him smile.

Handing everyone a glass filled with bubbly he held up his glass to make a toast- reveling in the small touches and large smiles between the beautiful young couple, he couldn't help but think of this same moment- so many years ago when it was him and Emily as the besotted, exultant duo- standing on the edge of everything- believing love could conquer all. He turned to Emily, his wife and partner of so long- through financial ups and downs, raising a child and all of the joys and tribulations that had come with it... they had weathered so much together, hand in hand, as partners, the two of them against the world- and it was hard not to see these two the same way. What was he to say in this moment? How could he best express his hopes and wishes for this couple? Then a memory struck, he smiled and he started.

"I'll never forget the day, about 4 ½ years ago when I got a call my beautiful granddaughter, Rory here. She was absolutely livid, I believe I even heard her throw about the term "jackass" and "miscreant"; well, I was more used to hearing Latin or Ancient Greek from this demure young woman, so I was instantly clued in that she was more than a bit upset. When I asked what was wrong she just told me that she needed my help. After a few more questions I was able to get more of the story and we began to form a plan.

"You see, apparently some over-spirited Elis had played a bit of a practical joke on her and her entire philosophy seminar- two young, and I'll substitute the word idiots for the terms she used, had burst in on her class, professing their love for her and fighting over her, all in pursuit of a laugh. Now, Rory knew that she had two choices- she could get mad at them and yell and scream, or she could get even. Well, being a Gilmore, she obviously decided on revenge and thus was our truly devious, dare I say Machiavellian plot, hatched.

"A few days later, I found Logan and his two dopey friends outside of McClellan Hall- she assured me they would most likely be there for the excellent coffee cart, not attending any kind of lecture." Logan had the decency to look sheepish at that and Emily was further charmed by the young, handsome man- almost as handsome as Richard had been. "Well, once the target was identified, I approached- at first chastising him for the impropriety of his public display of affection, but then assuring him I had spoken with his father, the engagement announcements were being printed as we spoke, the prenups signed and stamped. I patted him on the shoulders and bid him welcome to the family." Rory and he were laughing at this memory while Emily looked torn between absolute horror and amusement at her husband's scheme; meanwhile, Logan just grinned, remembering the fear and terror he felt as Richard had walked away. It must have taken at least twenty minutes for the roaring in his ears to stop and his pulse to come down to anything resembling normal- still another quick text to Honor to ask if their mother had said anything about him recently to figure out the con.

"Well, who could have guessed back then that I would some day be standing here and sincerely bidding Logan welcome to our family, and may you two have as many years of love and happiness as I have had with Emily- my partner and truest love." Just before everyone went to sip he thought of an addendum. "Oh, and Logan- she is a fine girl, and I still only want her to be happy." He winked at him then, Logan smiling and nodding, putting his other arm around Rory's shoulder, letting Richard know that was all he cared about as the two raised their glasses in understanding, Emily and Rory following suit. "To Rory and Logan."