1996 Tattinger Brut

"Rory, Logan, it's so nice to see you here, together. Isn't it wonderful to see them Richard?" Emily had come to the door the second the doorbell rang, thrilled with the world. Not only was she seeing her granddaughter, something that didn't happen nearly often enough since she graduated last year, but Rory had seemingly reconciled with Logan and Emily had visions of tiny little blonde hair, blue eyed babies running all over the pristine sandy beaches of Cape Cod within five years.

"It is always wonderful to see my granddaughter, Emily- although I admit I'm not opposed to the company she brings with her, either." Richard smirked as he pulled Rory in for a hug- noting that she seemed a bit thin and peaked, although, obviously, not quite as bad as when she had been in the hospital for pneumonia a few weeks ago. He turned to shake Logan's hand as Emily hugged Rory and allowed Logan to kiss her on the cheek before gesturing for them to follow her into the sitting room.

"May I offer either of you something drink- a martini perhaps, Rory?"

"Actually, Grandma do you happen to have any wine open?" Emily was a bit surprised at the request, Rory always drank the wine she served with dinner but rarely requested it instead of a dirty gin martini.

"Well of course I have wine- would you like red or white?" Rory was visibly nervous and damn that 6th sense of Emily's, she could tell something was up and was carefully looking her granddaughter over, as though she could divine the source of the nerves just by staring. Dammit, Gilmore, why couldn't you just take the martini? The truth was that she had every intention of keeping a clear head tonight- just one glass of wine would be perfect, but one of her grandmother's particularly dry (re: 98% gin) martinis would be much tougher to keep her wits about her.

"Actually," Logan stepped in, wanting to bail Rory out- she was fidgeting a little bit under Emily's gaze, not something she did often, and he assumed it was more about the second announcement she had to make than the first, maybe he could ease the tension a little bit and give her the reaction to their engagement she was counting on now to make up for the one Lorelai had given. He took her and and squeezed it, giving a her a a look of reassurance. "Emily, I don't mean to be too forward, this is your house after all, but is there any chance you have a bottle of champagne lying around we could open?" Emily instantly stopped pouring scotch for Richard at the bar cart and looked up, warily. She looked at Logan who seemed very calm, perhaps too calm, before looking to Richard who seemed just as mystified as her, before settling on Rory who was just holding Logan's hand and not looking at anyone in the room. Richard was the first to speak.

"I believe I have a bottle of champagne somewhere around here- but can we inquire as to whether there is something specific we are meant to be celebrating?" Suddenly Rory looked up at her grandparents, smiling brilliantly as she blurted out:

"We're engaged!" Emily and Richard were stunned- they knew that the couple had only recently gotten back together and now they were engaged? They looked at the two, wondering if this was real and Rory just held up her left hand to show them the ring- the diamonds catching the light in the room and sparkling, but not nearly as much as her eyes and her smile. Richard and Emily looked at her and then each other- this wouldn't be something these two would joke about, would it? Certainly not, Lorelai perhaps- Lord knows that girl had been engaged enough that it hardly mattered anymore when she changed her status- but not Rory and Logan. Logan and Rory just looked besottedly at each other, smiling like they were the only two people in the world and that was enough for the older couple to break out in huge grins. Richard stood excitedly, clasping his hands together, beaming as he moved over to them.

"Congratulations you two!" Rory stood as he approached, hugging Rory tightly before dashing off to find his best bottle of champagne- this was a momentous occasion, a true cause for celebration! Emily hurried over to examine the ring, remarking on Logan's exquisite taste in jewelry- happy tears forming in her eyes as it sank in that her granddaughter was marrying the Huntzberger heir- regardless the falling out Logan and Mitchum had last year, she was confident it would all shake out in the end. She had hoped for this day so long ago and thought it was out of the question- hell, she had worried that Rory would never settle down and have a family after she turned down Logan and went off to work for that website, living out of a suitcase, on a filthy bus like a gypsy.