Back Where It All Started

April 13

"Hey sweets, are you sure you're feeling alright? You look pale- not your normal, glowing porcelain doll limoge pale, but just pale- like Spike and Drusilla just came and feasted kind of pale."

"Gee, thanks Mom- you really know how to make a Maid of Honor feel better about standing up in front of 300 people."

"Aww, come on, you know I don't mean it like that, I just think you're working too hard! Can't that Senator Obama take a few weeks off so my daughter can get a break, maybe some rest?"

"Oh, sure, well I'm guessing right now the status of my health is his number one concern, it's probably on today's staff meeting agenda."

"But you're all famous now- practically a movie star!"

"I had two interviews on a morning cable show- so that's an impressive 3 minute and 42 second reel at the moment, I'm not exactly on the wish list for The Daily Show."

"Oooh, do you think Jon Stewart would date me?"

"Mom! Today is your vow renewal, wedding party thingy- to my dad! Can we not talk about your inappropriate crush on Jon Stewart?"

"Fine, wanna hear some inappropriate things about your father instead?"

"Mom, no more talking until I get a cup of coffee!" Rory moved into the kitchen, grabbing her favorite mug from the cupboard and crossed to the coffee maker, all the while trying to figure out why Lorelai was looking so weird and bothered.

"What about the coffee from Luke's? Your dad brought it over special for you this morning- he actually went into Luke's, for you, his beloved first-born daughter, I mean, he must like you or something. You can't upset Daddy by spurning his gift."

"Come on Mom, that was gone within 20 minutes of waking up- you've got a full pot over there- I'll just have some of that."

"But we got you two cups this morning, that wasn't sufficient? Aren't you worried about your caffeine intake?" Rory looked at Lorelai as though she had two heads.

"Yeah, Mom, two cups- I had them already, both of them. I didn't get in until past midnight after all and you were singing Get Me To The Church On Time at 7 am... What the hell is going on? Why are you acting so weird?" Rory poured herself some of the hot, dark liquid- adding a splash of cream from inside the fridge door while her mom refused to meet her eyes, what in the world had her mother acting this squirrely? She took a big sip of the nectar of the gods, waiting for it to slowly warm her... "What the hell is this?" She yelled as she spat it out immediately.

"Oh my God- is this... is this decaf?" She looked up at her mother, what alternate universe was this?

"Yeah, well, see hon-- your dad and I were going to talk to you last night but your flight was in so late and you fell asleep in the car on the way back from the airport and..." Rory's eyes went wide as she realized what was going on- what her mother was trying to say. She put down her mug of the offensive imposter and ran to her mother, squeezing her tightly as they jumped up and down, shrieking with excitement.

"Oh my god, you're pregnant! You guys are pregnant! Wow, my mom and dad are having a baby- together! Oh this is just so amazing! I mean, I didn't know if you wanted another kid, but this is so great, I'm going to have another sibling, I can be the awesome big sister who buys them beer and sneaks them into R-rated movies- it's going to be awesome!"

"I know, it's crazy, right? I mean who waits until they're adults, financially stable and married before having a kid? I don't know if I know how to do it this way!" Lorelai was joking, her eyes shining with unshed tears and one of the biggest smiles Rory had ever seen on her mother.