Dinner with the Parents

They pulled up the gravel driveway in Logan's rented BMW, coming to a stop in front of Rory's childhood home. Rory had been squeezing his hand tightly ever since they passed the exit for Woodbury, 16 miles back. For maybe the first time ever she was almost dreading reaching Stars Hollow, since reaching Stars Hollow meant seeing her mom, and seeing her mom meant spilling the beans about the engagement and spilling the beans about the engagement meant probable judgement, disapproval and disappointment. As Logan pulled into park she groaned, wishing she could do a quick shot or two of tequila before going inside and ruining the happy bubble she'd been in the last few days. She knew her mom was going to have all kinds of things to say about the engagement- it was too soon, it was a gut reaction, she was scared by the diagnosis and had been missing Logan over the last year... And she wouldn't be entirely wrong. If not for everything that had happened recently, Rory may not have had the guts and clarity to say yes and then stand up to her mom and risk her disappointment; but she didn't doubt, not for even a second, that she was doing exactly what she wanted- what would make her truly happy.

"Are you sure you're ready? You sure you want to do this now?" He turned in his seat to look at her, taking her hand in his and kissing the knuckles, seeing the anxiety in her eyes. He was seriously worried about her. He knew how much her parents reaction to the engagement, especially Lorelai's, was going to matter to her, he just didn't know how bad it would be. He had always harbored a suspicion that Lorelai's opinion had played a big part in her refusing him last time and he didn't know what would happen if Lorelai was still so against them being together. He didn't know how to make her understand that he didn't want a DAR-approved trophy wife, he wanted Rory to pursue her dreams and her career- she was never so alive and wonderful and happy as she was pursuing a lead or furiously clacking away at her keyboard trying to get all the thoughts on paper before the coffee buzz wore off. He loved all of the brilliant, beautiful enigma who is his Ace, and he just didn't know how to make sure her parents knew that.

Knowing they were both nervous, and having a pretty good idea as to what was going through Logan's mind right now, Rory turned in her seat and looked him in the face, taking both of his hands; she needed him to really listen to, and believe, what she was about to say.

"Logan, I know you're worried. And believe me, I really wish I could say that I knew they'd be happy for us. I mean, I think Dad is going to be fine- he may hem and haw a bit about the timing and something about his daughter getting married... but that's just him trying to be a dad- he actually really likes you and thinks you're good for me. And... Mom's reaction? I swear to god, I have no clue what that's going to be. I mean, I have an idea, obviously, or I wouldn't be hiding out here in your rental car in the driveway of my own damn house. I have a feeling it's going to be her fairly standard, stilted, big-eyed, totally thrown off but seemingly sincere, 'wow, kid, I'm so happy for you'; she'll hug me and smile and ask me multiple inappropriate questions. But then, two days from now, she'll pull me aside and try and convince me that I didn't mean my acceptance, it's too soon- we should get through treatment, we're being impulsive and we're scared and we should live together again first, blah blah blah...but I don't care. I really don't. I just want to be with you and marry you and have a life together, and not even Lorelai Victoria Gilmore-Hayden can convince me otherwise." She put her arms around his neck and pulled him closer, touching foreheads with him, closing her eyes slightly, breathing him in- enjoying his scent of cloves, coffee, musk and orange peel.

"You're sure? Because it's not too late to take it back and tell me to wait- to stop being such an impulsive idiot."

"Yes, Logan, I'm completely and totally, 100% sure that I don't want you to stop being an impulsive idiot." She smiled at him and he chuckled back. "It's not impulsive for me to want to marry you; I wanted to marry you a year ago, I just wasn't ready. And yes, I'm glad, that I had the chances I got during the Obama campaign- it was such an amazing experience and I honestly don't know if I would have done it if we had been engaged when the offer came. But, I also know, even more now than I did back then, that you are the man for me and I'm really excited for our lives together. I love you, and I really hope my parents can be happy for me- for us- but if not? That's too bad, Logan. You are the man who makes me happy, the man who tries every single day to be the best man he can possibly be, the man who stops at nothing to make me feel loved and secure and taken care of... and that's not something I'm willing to lose- not ever again. You, Logan Elias Huntzberger are good and stuck with me for the rest of your life." And just in case he didn't understand what she was saying, just in case he wasn't really comprehending how she felt, how sincere she was, she pulled him in by his collar, kissing him hard, fast, passionately and with purpose.