Chapter 13: Sleep deprived

Start from the beginning

“Everything.”

I gritted my teeth, tired of the games and his annoying confidence. He hadn’t answered one question I’d thrown at him. The only thing he’d succeeded in doing here was making me even more distrustful and if I couldn’t trust him I didn’t want him around Rien or Kaio. Something wasn’t right here.

“You think I can’t hurt you? You think I won’t just skin you right here?”

“I know you won’t, the same way I know you’re worried I’ll hurt your friends…but I’m no threat to them, I’m no threat to any of you, you have my word.” He said simply but I questioned the sincerity in his voice.

“Your word doesn’t mean shit to me.”

He cocked his head to the side. “You’re so full of anger, it’s… kind of sad really.” His tone softened and then something occurred to me;

“Are you human?”

He laughed, a weak breathy sound that sent chills down my spine. “Of course I’m human, look at me.” he gestured to his body again then sighed, blinking his eyes rapidly as if to clear them.

“I’m more tired than I thought.” He mumbled, then, “Either kill me or get out I need my rest.” His suddenly harsh tone surprised me and I looked down at the weapon I held so tightly in my hand then aback at him. His eyes had already drifted close.

I could do it. A single plunge into the heart and it would be over. Then I wouldn’t have to worry about his intentions or whatever threat he posed to all of us. I took a step forward, my eyes locked onto his face which had already softened with sleep, then I gritted my teeth, cursed under my breath and turned away. Keeping him alive until I figured out what he wanted was probably best. I told myself, then turned on my heel but his voice stopped me just as I pulled the door open an di froze.

“Find a computer, research the name Laironov, then when you’ve figured out why I’m here, come visit me again and we’ll talk.” He said simply.

I looked over my shoulder at him. “There are no computers here.”

“Pity.” He said, then closed his eyes again and with a frown I left the room, slamming the door behind me as I went.

…………………………………………………

Malik Laironov. Weren’t vampires supposed to be able to sense deceit? I thought as I walked along the corridor, too wired to go back to my room just yet. They’d just welcomed the bastard into their lives without a second thought, with not a bloody care in the world as to what he might do or as to what he was. The fools.

The cocky son of a bitch was going to be trouble, I could feel it and that bullshit speech about whatever the hell he wanted with me was just the beginning. I ran a hand over my face, using the other the tuck the knife back into my waist band and as I passed each window lining the corridor, I looked out into the courtyard, taking in the trees further out.

You’re so full of anger...it’s kind of sad really’ Malik’s voice mocked me as I went. I had every right to be angry and who was he to judge? He didn’t know a damn thing about me.

“Asshole.”

I took a breath, then another, trying to cool my temper and pretty soon I didn’t feel the intense need to go back and rough him up until he told me what he knew. His name didn’t even sound vaguely familiar to me. I couldn’t imagine what he expected me to find if I got the chance to research it; nothing of consequence I was sure. I nodded at a drudge who passed by me along the way, then turned the corner.