Chapter 31: The Heartbreak

Start from the beginning

"So. . ." He said and I laughed.

"Don't start that crap." He laughed. "I take it that Aiden told you what happened yesterday?"

He looked at me briefly before looking at the front again and nodding his head. "I was expecting that, really. I mean, they were bound to know, right? You can't exactly hide that forever."

"I know. I was going to tell them, just not that way." I mumbled as we stepped inside the café, sitting at an empty booth.

"Uh-huh, because you were planning to tell them in a magical world." He replied sarcastically, just as a waitress arrived in front of us.

"Welcome to Café Greene. What would you like?" A waitress around our age asked with a polite smile on her face.

"One grilled ham and cheese sandwich and a chocolate shake." I said as she wrote it down and looked at Chase.

"What about you sir?" She asked.

"One chocolate fondue and a cream latte." He answered and she wrote it down on the paper before saying that she'll be back with our orders.

When she walked away, I turned to Chase with raised eyebrow. "Isn't it too early for desserts?"

He shrugged. "It's never too early for desserts. People eat ice cream all the time and that's a dessert." He retorted and I rolled my eyes.

Damn him and his smart brain.

"Smartass." I muttered and he chuckled.

Seriously, I didn't remember him being this annoying this past few weeks. He's been awfully nice and sweet to me, that this side of him is just way too foreign for me to handle.

"God, that talk yesterday was awfully boring." He said and I nodded my head in agreement.

"Can't they just leave us alone for awhile?" I wondered and he laughed.

"Just ignore them, it's not like we listen to them anyway."

I raised an eyebrow at what he said and he sighed. "Alright, we do listen to them."

I laughed. "But."

My laugh was cut short. "But?"

"I need you to do me a little favor."

I raised an eyebrow at him. "And what would that be, Mr. Peterson?" I asked.

"I need you to help me set up a big surprise." He answered, a big grin appearing on his lips.

"And may I ask for whom might that be?" I asked, staring at him with a curious expression.

A soft and adoring smile appeared on his lips. "For a special girl that made my heart beat for the first time."

I could practically hear my own heart shatter in a million pieces on the ground beneath me, and the feeling in my gut? God, I hate the feeling in my gut. It feels like it's been used as a punching bag for a couple of very strong boxers. My heart feels like it's been stabbed again and again and I could practically see my whole world fall in tiny pieces in front of me.

There's no way what Aiden told me could've been true. It's pretty obvious that Chase likes someone else. Aiden must have just said that to make me feel better—and it did, trust me—but still. It's giving someone false hope and that's just not how I like it. I'd rather get rejected than hope for something and then get crushed in the end.

I forced a smile, even though it's killing me inside. "Is Mr. Player finally settling down?"

He laughed. "Hopefully, if she says yes."

That girl would be dumb not to say yes.

"Okay, so what's your plan?" He grinned.

He told me everything. From the roses to the songs, everything is so sweet and romantic. It's pretty clear that Chase already thought this through because everything is so planned out perfectly. You can definitely see his effort and how much he likes the girl.

Lucky bitch.

But there's one thing I can't understand though. He could just ask for the guys' help about this and not me. But, he still chose to ask me. It's like he's rubbing it in my face that he likes someone else. It definitely screams, 'I don't like you. I like someone else.'. Seriously, who does that?

But I still help him anyway.

That's the problem.

We would do anything and everything just to see the one we like to be happy. Even if it means letting them go. You would rather feel empty and broken than see him or her miserable. It's not like you could force yourself to them. And even if you can, there's no use because they would still feel unhappy.

He breathed in nervously. "Is the plan okay?"

"It's perfect."

He smiled. He freaking smiled.

Gosh, please stop smiling. You're already killing me. Don't make it worse. I might be dead right now.

"Any suggestions?"

He asked for my suggestion.

He's really serious when he told me he'd be asking some suggestions from me right after he tells me everything. Can't he see that it's killing me every passing second?

I nod anyway.

He beamed at me. "Great! Let's hear it."

"Well, the last place the both of you would go to would be the place she likes the most. Base it on the things she told you. She'd definitely love that. If she loves stars, you can take her to some open place. If she loves flowers, you can take her to a meadow full of flowers. You know, things like that. And when the both of you get there, try and build the courage to tell her what you really feel. I mean, it's about time. You said you've known her long enough to actually know that what you feel for her is real. And when you finish pouring your heart out, we'll see how it goes from there."!I said and he grinned widely at me.

Well, what was I supposed to do anyway? Give him crappy ideas?

"That's perfect, Teddy Bear."

Gosh, I haven't heard him say that for a long time. It still gives me the usual thrill and happiness every time he says that. At least I know that there's a part of him that treasures me. At least a little bit.

I smiled timidly.

The waitress who served us earlier returned and placed our orders on the table. "Enjoy your meal." She said and walked away afterwards.

I sipped on my chocolate shake as Chase started eating his fondue, giving us a time to leave us with our thoughts.

I wonder what she's like. Is she kind? Does she have a breathtaking smile? Does her laugh sound so angelic? Does she have a sense of humor? Does she spend a lot of time with Chase? Does she know any of our friends? And most importantly, does she like Chase the same way he does?

I sigh. Stop thinking about that Amber. You're just stressing yourself.

"What's wrong?" Chase asked, looking up from his desert.

I looked at my sandwich. It doesn't look that much appetizing anymore like it usually does.

I looked up at him and mustered a smile. "Nothing. Everything is fine."

Except for the sound of my heart breaking into a million pieces again and again.