➶ 3

THE ROYALS, OR ELITES, as others would call them, were dangerous individuals. Heirs to the most successful companies in the world, their attendance made the academy infamous worldwide. Acceptance rates dropped below three percent and became reputable as the most arduous school to secure a spot in.

Admirers had built a baseless monarchy that could only benefit the wealthy. They created 'laws' that commoners would follow. Through overheard conversations, while residing in the grand library, I learned that thousands of applicants would abandon their seats within the first two months—most of which were holders of a scholarship. Rumours of threats that could shatter an individual and secrets that should have remained buried, it was evident that I was treading on thin ice.

When Zavian left for a business trip last night with his father for the next week, I became very knowledgeable in the fact that I had crossed a border unspoken. My act of defiance travelled the academy quickly with insults, taunts, and threats alike that would follow wherever I went. And knowing that Daniel Hayes belonged nearly at the bottom of the hierarchy had terrified me.

"You think you have the right to stay here?" sneered the female, reaching a few inches taller than my five-foot-one stature. Auburn locks danced in curls with shine, and I could not help but envy it. "The Headmistress has always caved to my demands, so don't think for a second, that you are safe."

And when the Headmistress had called me to her office along with Evelyn, the female had burst out, "She does not belong here, Headmaster, surely you can make an exception," she innocently smiled through doe-eyes. "I can guarantee a very generous donation as well."

I grew indifferent, clasping my hands together with crossed legs, leaning back in the leather chair. My vision wandered to the marvellous architecture, the wooden walls with paintings on the ceiling. With a tilt of my head, I watched as the Headmistress looked at me knowingly, then turned to Evelyn, "As kind as your donation may be, Evelyn, Calista will continue to have a secured seat," the woman firmly stated.

"Headmistress," began Evelyn with determination, clenching her fists in her lap with hard eyes, "Please reconsider this decision-"

The woman removed her glasses, letting them hang from her neck, "You will mind your tone," the Headmistress noted tightly with a warning, "Despite her standing with a scholarship, not only she is a remarkable student with an aptitude for Business," she praised, "But her connections far outweigh yours," Evelyn froze as the elegant woman continued, "And all requests regarding Calista in the future will not be accepted,"

Evelyn's smile vanished, "Outweighs," she trailed off in disbelief.

"I expect that you relay the message to those who may have a problem with Calista, and to see me if they have any concerns." said the Headmistress, "Dismissed," The female screeched lightly in annoyance, stomping her foot childishly as she fled the office, "And Calista, please try to steer clear of trouble's way,"

I shrugged, a small smirk twisting at my lips, "No promises, Celeste," I replied cheekily, adjusting the fitted blazer.

"Hurry along to class, Calista," she replied with a roll of her eyes, diverting her attention to the pile of incomplete paperwork.

"MY GEM! HOW ARE you doing?" my father's ecstatic voice rang through the line. He waved like a child to the screen, "How are your studies?"

I propped my iPhone onto the milky white vanity, below the enormous oval mirror with built-in LED lights. "The professors are very accommodating, and they say that I am a phenomenal student," I grinned, plugging in the cord of the straightener in the outlet. "Though since we have only skimmed the basics of Business, it's quite tedious," I explained, "How is mother doing?"

"She has been an earful with the demands to call you every day in between your lectures," he scoffed, taking a prolonged sip—of what seemed to be, a cocktail.

I paused, squinting at the scenery that I had yet to notice. My father lounged comfortably in a circular tan hammock bed in the shade with the view of the ocean. The sea rippled in waves, blankets of water crashing into the shore. I pointed an accusing finger at my father, "Wait a minute," I gasped, "Is that a piña colada?"

"These get the hype," he confirmed, beaming.

I scrunched my nose, "Dad, you're thirty-six, not eighteen. Please do not use 'hype' ever again,"

"Aren't you charming?" he replied sarcastically. "Anyways, since it's a Saturday morning, why don't you go out for lunch?" my father suggested, "Landon will pick you up at half-past eleven."

Nodding appreciatively in agreement, I listened as he eagerly boasted of his vacation from the Bahamas to Barbados, where he planned to travel to Spain next with my mother. And the entire time, all I could think about was how traitorous he was to wait until I departed to St. Blair's.

When I finished straightening the last section of curly hair, I rummaged through the walk-in closet that had more space than clothing. My attire consisted of a pair of white slacks, a silk-cashmere turtleneck with a white trench coat that I matched with nude, suede heels. Returning into the vision of the camera, I twirled around, "How do I look?"

"Ten!" he clapped in approval, "Remember, no boys until you are married!"

I frowned in thought, bursting out in offence, "That doesn't even make sense," I pouted childishly, "At this rate, I might as well be single for the rest of my life,"

"That is my ideal dream," he cheekily smiled, but despite so, he had sounded utterly serious.

After the notification from Landon that mentioned he had arrived, I bid my goodbye's to my father, "Landon is here," I announced, spraying the Clive Christian perfume by my neck, which was known as the reminiscent of Aphrodite. "I will call you when I return, love you. Bye!"

He almost looked torn and upset that I was leaving on his suggestion, "B-But," he mumbled, "Fine, amuse-toi, je t'aime."

When the FaceTime ended, I exited my dormitory, remembering to make sure that it was locked. Heading down the elevator, humming softly to a song from twenty-one-pilots, I did my absolute best to ignore the gazes of distaste and curiosity.

By the end of the corridor, I found Landon in the lounge surrounded by a group of females that seemed adamant in getting to know the handsome ginger. He was past the feeling of being uncomfortable with eyes begging for help. When he glanced up, he breathed out of complete relief, excusing himself as he brushed himself off. The suit he wore stood out, indefinitely. It was something that I reminded him to refrain from wearing because it would draw unwanted attention. "I checked you out for the day," he commented as I noticed his freckled cheeks were tinted pink. "Please save me."

I rolled my eyes, abstaining the need to pinch his cheeks. Instead, I tangled my right around his, watching as the females' faces morphed into displeasure and envy. "I can't wait to get out of here,"

As Landon escorted me out of the academy, the stares followed. I desperately wanted to hide my face in my palms when he opened the door to the newest release of the Mercedes-Maybach. When the thin-steel academy gates gradually opened, multiple vehicles that displayed dominance entered as Landon exited.

With my head leaned against the leather and the window completely rolled down, I peeked a glimpse at the male figure that passed. I rolled up the window as quickly as I could, my heart dropping when I realized who he was.

They were back; there was a storm brewing, and it would not be from the skies.