➶ 2

"WELCOME TO THE introductory of Business!" greeted the young woman who did not look over the age of thirty. She wore a tight smile that was sharp and observant, "This course will develop your understanding of the fundamentals of Business to critically and analytically reflect on decisions to find success. We will work towards expanding your knowledge through accounting, financing, marketing, entrepreneurship, general management, and ethnic relations," she paused, "You will call me Professor Clarke, I look forward to seeing your exceptional academic abilities."

And as her gaze glossed over the students, they lingered on one student in particular—me. "Calista, was it?" asked Professor Clarke, tossing me a friendly smile. She leaned on her desk, resting her hand on her slacks, "I would like to have a private conversation with you after class."

"Professor Clarke has never willingly smiled," gaped a student in astonishment. "Does she know the professor by chance?" When I glanced at her, she had taken a seat atop her desk, watching the scene play out.

A laugh of disbelief and distaste resounded the lecture hall, "She is a nobody, Quinton," he scoffed, and in the corner of my eye, I noticed the platinum blonde hair that distinguished who he was. "If anything, she will be kicked out of this class."

Daniel Harrison, he was the son of a man who had ruthlessly robbed his previous wife of her fortune and success. His declaration of love was of bitter lies with nothing but the promise of ruination. When she had fallen in love, he stripped her of her own company, took her child and heart away, then forbade her from associating herself with him. Left with nothing, she fled and never returned. While Daniel and his father lived lavishly in riches, she was struggling to make a living for herself.

And what was the significance and relevance of this knowledge? This information never made the public, and it was something that the media would be willing to pay hundreds of thousands.

"She earned her spot here, Daniel," protested Zavian firmly. "Leave her alone."

Despite his underlying threat, Daniel only shook his head, "Your father must be disappointed in you," he continued, "You're a failure as his heir," mocked Daniel, and I felt myself snapping. "It'll be exhilarating to see that pathetic company of your father's, crumble in my hand."

Zavian remained quiet, lowering his head with a melancholy look that I had never seen before. Tucking a strand of hair behind my ear, I lifted my chin with confidence as I tossed him a light smirk, "The difference between you and Zavian," a soft and mellow laugh escaped my lips, "is that his wealth is real."

"What is she talking about, Daniel?" questioned Quinton hesitantly.

Swallowing my pride for the sake of attending was easy, but when mentioning Zavian, one of my childhood best friends, I could not help but snap. Daniel, on the other hand, fell silent. He turned ghastly pale and hardened his eyes with his knuckles clenched, abruptly standing up. "A con man," I mutely whispered when he reached my eyes, resting my chin in my palm as he descended the stairs, and then he stormed off.

When I returned my attention to the professor, I found her sending me a wink in amusement, as if she were awaiting this. "Refocus, class," reminded Professor Clarke. "Can anyone explain me to the concept of revenue, costs, and profits?"

The lecture hall stilled, "Revenue is the income that a company receives by selling services or products to customers," I explained before anyone else could, "Costs are the expenses that a company must incur to create and sell goods, for example, advertising and salaries," I added, "And profit occurs when the revenue exceeds the costs,"

"Excellent," commented the professor, "It was a rather vague question, but answered most simply and perfectly." she remarked, pacing slowly across the room, "Notice her tone and body language, it was assertive and clear."

I licked my lips, keeping my face neutral, and exhibiting a relaxed posture. I had never dealt with attention very well. "Calista's answer may have been different from you all, but the way she holds herself makes you think otherwise." Professor Clarke lectured, "Public speaking is not only speaking on facts or opinions, but you want to persuade others to listen to what you have to say." At this point, I'm unaware if they are staring from the little scene earlier, or that I have been singled out. "Since it is your first day, assigned classes are shorter and meant for small introductions only," she continued, lifting her glasses to rest them on her head, "Dismissed."

"What the hell was that all about, Caly?" urged Zavian, poking my shoulder in annoyance. "You'll tell me after," he pointed knowingly at me. "I'll wait for you outside." I scrunched my nose at the nickname since I used to patronize him to never call me that. Old habits die hard. It was astonishing, mainly for me, that we were still remaining civil to each other.

I only smiled with a shrug, stopping in my tracks as I made it to the front of the lecture hall. "Hi, you wanted to speak to me, Professor Clarke?"

She shut the door, "Call me Willow when I'm not teaching, hun," she began, and I couldn't help but gawk. "Based on your records, you are a phenomenal student, and you proved me correct today," noted Willow. "I'm impressed with how you handled the situation today, calmy but dangerously." I was still unable to comprehend what was happening. "It was very refreshing," she laughed, pinning her hair in a low bun. "I, especially, look forward to teaching you."

"Well, I think I should find Daniel and apologize, he certainly won't be happy when he realizes I'm not getting kicked out of this class." I joked with a grin, noticing that her features had oddly looked familiar. "Has anyone told you that you look like Mauve Diaz?"

Mauve Diaz was the ex-wife of Nolan Hayes, the man who ruined her life. The similarities between Willow and Mauve were uncanny. "I get that more often than you would expect," she smiled, but it never fully reached her eyes. "You should get going, Zavian is waiting."