Chapter 24

Thea stared down at her ring finger and grimaced as the large stone winked at her, "Even the stone knows I'm a fool.  I can't believe I said yes."

Jasmine smile faltered as she fluffed a pillow and placed it behind Thea's back.  "Thea, he was so excited when you said yes.  Try to see if from his point of view -."

Thea shook her head as she laid back, "I feel like such a dummy."  Thea stared at her palm and shook her head, "There are diamonds around the entire band."

"Yeah that ring once graced the finger of Gabe's great-grandma," laughed Jasmine.

"Really," asked Thea as she watched Jasmine happily waltz around the room.  "If it's a family heirloom why aren't you wearing it?"  Thea stared back down, the ring its weight unbearable and a reminder of her gullibility when it came to Gabe.

"Each male is given a ring to present his mate," Jasmine paused to see if Thea had caught her slip before she giggled and opened the blinds to let in the sun.  "Each DuPont male is giving a special ring to give his future bride."

"Why did you say mate first," asked Thea softly as she examined the overly large center stone.  "I think Desiree called her husband her mate or something like that."

Jasmine turned and gave Thea a bright smile, "Mate as in soul mate.  The person you are to spend the rest of your life with."

"Ah," nodded Thea as she started to twirl the ring on her finger.  "And you think I'm Gabe's soul mate?"

"Of course," answered Jasmine.  "You and Gabriel are definitely meant to be.  It's written in the stars.  He knows it, I know it, and everyone knows it."  Jasmine paused and smiled at Thea,  "Even you know it."

"Really," murmured Thea as she looked up from the ring.  "Maybe the stars are wrong."

"I'm confused." Jasmine paused and turned to stare at Thea with puzzled and sad eyes.  "It sounds like you don't want to be with Gabe anymore."

"You're not confused," whispered Thea under her breath.  "I don't want to marry his lying, cheating ass."

Jasmine pretended not to hear Thea and stared at her with a patient and kind expression.  "Thea is there something you want to talk to me about?"

"Nope!"  Thea pasted on a smile and rubbed her stomach.  "One of the babies is kicking if you want to feel."

"I do!"  Jasmine sat down on the bed and watched as Thea's stomach hopped beneath the peach nightgown.  "It looks uncomfortable."

"It is," groaned Thea. "But I can't complain because them doing this tells me they are okay."

Jasmine placed her hand on Thea's stomach and smiled as she felt a hand or foot move and kick beneath her hand.  "He's a fighter," laughed Jasmine as another spot on Thea's stomach started to move.  "Look!  Look! Someone just woke up."  Jasmine placed her other hand on Thea's stomach to feel the other baby move.  "I can't believe you're carrying three babies.  Do they all kick at once sometimes?"

"Sometimes," murmured Thea with a wince as she watched her stomach jump.  "I wonder where Gabe is," asked Thea in an attempt to sound uninterested.  "I'm sure he'd love to see and feel this."

Jasmine lightly rubbed Thea's stomach, a small smile played over her lips, as she answered.  "He and William went to Zion to finish up some business.  He'll be back in time for you two to have a nice dinner together."

"I didn't know you had offices in Zion."  Thea traced a stretch mark with a frown.  "I should rub some more coconut butter on my stomach."

"We have a small satellite office there," supplied Jasmine as walked over to the light oak dresser and picked up the oil. Jasmine sat down and poured some oil in Thea's hand. "William told me it'll be an all day meeting with a group of potential investors that flew in yesterday," continued Jasmine as she moved to the large window seat.  "It'll just be me, you and the babies."