Chapter 1

Chapter One

"Thea!  Gabe's here to pick you up for your first day."

"Okay!"  Thea ran down the stairs of her family's home in Dalton Row and kissed her mom on the cheek.  She skipped past the three small wooden tables in her family's cafe and smiled at Gabe.

"Your mom is the best cook ever," mumbled Gabe around a mouthful of cinnamon roll. He used his thumb to remove drops of sticky icing from his bottom lip. Gabe locked eyes with Thea as he stared out of dancing jade eyes at the speechless Thea.

Don't just stare at him like a dimwit, thought Thea.  She nodded her head as she tried not to let her eyes linger on his sexy lips or remember the pink tongue that had darted out to lick the icing from his fingers.  

When did he turn all sexy? Thea thought as she rushed to grab a roll.  "You know your mom's banana pudding bread is good.  You really need to get her to give us the recipe."  She took a bite and she closed her eyes as she savored the warm sugar and cinnamon.

"You know you really should eat an apple," chuckled Gabe.  HIs eyes ran from her face down to the black leggings encasing her thighs.  Gabe watched in bewildered surprise when she tossed her half eaten roll down with a slight frown.

"You're right," mumbled Thea rising and throwing the roll in the garbage.  She rinsed her hands, grabbed an apple and took a bite.  "We should leave so we're not late for my first day at North Point High."

Gabe sighed as he rose and put his plate to the small sink, "I meant with the cinnamon roll so you wouldn't be hungry before lunch."  He placed his hand on her shoulders and gently massaged them.  "You're perfect just the way you are."

Pushing him away she rolled her chocolate brown eyes. "Yeah I'm so perfect!  My thighs rubbed together and my stomach jiggles a little when I laugh."  Looking down at her oversized gray shirt and black leggings she shook her head, "I ran track freshman year and they still rub together."

"I keep forgetting you have issues with your weight," exhaled Gabe as he released her shoulders.

With an appalled expression Thea looked him up and down.  "It's almost 8, we only have 30 minutes before first bell.  Let's go!" Thea moved toward the front door with a shake of her head, "I can't believe how insensitive he can be.  Not everyone can eat like there's no tomorrow and still look like a damn track star."

Gabe scratched his dirty blond hair as he followed eyes glued to her the lush swell of her rounded butt.  "If I say I'm sorry will you let it go?"

Thea angrily cut her eyes toward him, as they walked down Old Doty Road to the bridge connecting the two towns, and huffed.  "Sure tell me you're sorry for calling me fat and telling me I should starve myself until I'm as thin as a rail."

"Um," began Gabe as he tried to figure out exactly when he'd said all that.  "I'm sorry," he responded questioningly.

Thea gave him an annoyed look before she rolled her eyes as they walked over the tranquil waters of Loomis Creek.  After eight minutes of silence she huffed, "I accept your apology."

Gabe turned and gave her a brilliant smile that made his jade eyes sparkle. "See that wasn't so tough!"

"They should put street dividers like this in Dalton Row on Old Doty Road." Thea stared around North Point's Main Street in awe of the beautiful street dividers and dazzling windows.

Gabe shook his head as he looked at the oversized, over decorated street dividers, "SUVs can barely drive down Main Street because of those things.  Old Doty Road is fine just the way it is."  With a wave of his hand toward the tall planters he chuckled, "Those are just a waste of money and a distraction."