Grounded

I was on lockdown for the rest of the weekend. Ashleigh called, but they wouldn't let me talk to her, then Marley, and even Liz wanted an update. I was dying to tell the girls about the bonfire. Monday couldn't come soon enough.

Two nights of dreaming later, although this time they were much less pleasant and rather than ending by me waking up, my parents frequented my dreams and ruined things; it was finally Monday morning. There were very few days in the history of my life that I had been so excited to go to school. This was one of those days.

That morning, it wasn't just Ashleigh waiting for me, but Liz and Marley as well. "Class starts in five minutes. I don't have time to tell you anything, other than I am grounded forever." I walked past them into my classroom. As Mme. De Fleur droned on in a language I didn't understand anymore I began imagining my future sans Gavin. My parents would be watching my every move from now on. I sulked from French class to Home Ec. I wasn't sure how I would face him today. Hopefully it would be one of the many times he didn't show up for class.

Ashleigh came up behind me as I approached the room, "Someone is grouchy."

"Well, you would be too if you had the lockdown weekend I just experienced." I scowled until I remembered Saturday night. I sighed blissfully as I sank into, well, sat on, my stool.

"That good huh?"

"Ashleigh, it was amazing. At first I was so nervous, and his friends are soo different than us. They were drinking..."

"He didn't drink and drive did he?" She sounded like my answer meant the difference between life and death, for Gavin.

"No, he didn't have any, but I think he does drink with them sometimes."

She seemed placated, "So, did he?"

"What?" I asked oblivious.

"Did he kiss you, dork?"

"Oh, no, but we did hold hands, and there was a lot of closeness happening." Ashleigh giggled with delight.

I was about to tell her more when Gavin walked in the door. Darn, why couldn't luck be on my side just this once. He didn't hesitate, he walked right over to me.

"Hi." He put his hand on my shoulder.

"Hi Gavin."

The bell rang and Ashleigh sneaked away to her own stool.

"So, how was the rest of your weekend?" His hand was burning through my flesh. I went back to being the same mumbling, stumbling girl.

"Fine." Far from it.

"Hey, I thought we were past the Addy of few words. Didn't you have a good time? I know my friends can be a lot to handle, but I thought it was a great night." He only looked slightly hurt.

"It was fun. I didn't mind your friends. I had a really good time." A look of relief crossed his face.

"Good, you should come hang out with us today after school. A few of us are getting together at Doug's house to play video games. I promise it isn't as lame as it sounds."

"I can't go. My parents never gave me permission to go out on Saturday and when they found out they grounded me for the rest of the month!" I blurted out. Mrs. Anderson stopped her daily instructions and looked at me. "Is something wrong Adelaide?"

"Uh, no, we were just arguing about the best way to cook yams."

"Ah, can you save the argument until I am finished talking?"

"Yes." I whispered.

An eternity later she excused us to start working in our kitchens. I jumped up and ran over to our station and started pulling out ingredients, pots, pans, and anything I could think of to distract myself.