"You know this would have been enough." I lifted the white rose. "A bouquet would have been great too." I turned my back from him to look at the flowers again. "But you just have to be crazy and buy the entire flower shop. Michael, this is too-."

I gasped when I turned and saw Michael down on one knee. He had an anxious look on his face which he tried to hide with a smile.

"What are you doing?" I asked sounding nervous. I knew exactly what he was doing and my heart was racing. My breathing went uneven.

He took my hand and I wasn't sure it was me whose hands were cold. After a second, I realised it was his. He gently rubbed my knuckles with his thumb.

"Madeleine, you're my happiness, my lifeline and my one and only angel. You're the most important and wonderful thing that ever happened to me and I wanna share the rest of my life with you if you let me." He paused for air and lifted his free hand which was holding a small velvet box. "Would you like to be Mrs. Madrid and marry me?"

I cupped his cheek and he leaned on my hand. With all my strength, I pulled him to stand and kissed him on the lips. I broke the kiss and whispered, "Yes."

"Yes?" His eyes started to water as he took out the ring and reached for my hand. "You'll marry me?"

"Yes, I will marry you, Mr. Michael Madrid." I wiped his happy tears. "Do I have a choice?"

"No, not really, Miss Daniel." he answered honestly making us laugh. We embraced and he lifted  me up to twirl us. "God, I love you."

"I love you too but can you put me down now? I'm dizzy and hungry."

He laughed and gently put me down before we headed to the kitchen. He was giddy and excited as a kid all throughout the morning.

"She said yes!" he told David and the guys when we met them at the garage. I blushed in embarrassment when they congratulated us.

After breakfast, Michael and I drove to the cemetery to visit my mother. We had her remains transferred from San Fernando to Manila so I could go to her more often.

I never liked celebrating my birthday because it's also my mother's death anniversary. Yes, she died while giving birth to me and it made me guilty somehow. I was aware it wasn't my fault but it doesn't change the fact that she sacrificed her life to give me mine.

But this year was a different one. It's already a happy one after getting engaged first thing in the morning. Then later, I will have an actual birthday party for the first time ever. Mrs Madrid insisted on it. She and Michaela planned the entire party. I had no idea what to expect. Even Michael doesn't know what's going to happen. According to him, Michaela simply instructed him to make sure I show up wearing the dress she gave me.

When we reached the cemetery, we fixed some flowers from the proposal in a vase. We lighted candles and said a prayer.

"Hi, mama. Michael and I getting married. Is that okay with you?" I lifted my the hand with my engagement ring.

"Of course, it's okay. Right, mama?"

I squinted at him and decided to tease him. "Ma, please give me a sign if he's not the man for me."