"Why can't I save her?" he growled, clenching his teeth together. "Why does Tenseiga refuse to return her to me?"
Inukimi walked over and looked at Lyra. "Tell me, my son, has she died before?"
"No," he answered shortly, looking up at her. "Why?"
"Hm... If one has already been returned to the world of the living once before, then they cannot be brought back a second time."
"But she has not died before," he reiterated, growing even more frustrated. "She has not died."
"Perhaps Tenseiga is unwilling to revive her."
"Why?!" he growled.
Inukimi frowned softly. "What is her name?"
He turned his gaze down to the body again, his voice softening. "Lyra Akiyama."

Inukimi's brows raised slightly at her name. Sesshomaru cupped Lyra's cold cheek. Rin and Jaken began tearing up as he closed his eyes tightly.

'Why..? Why am I being punished this way? I claim to love her, but I did not hold up to my duty as her mate and protector. I turned my back on her when she needed me most. When she told me she was marrying another, was that her cry for help? I allowed my pride to take over. And this is my punishment.'

Sesshomaru was not one to ever cry. Yet as he clenched his eyes shut, a single tear rolled down his cheek. He suddenly took his armour off and threw it aside, surprising Inukimi, Rin and Jaken. He didn't want to hurt her as he crouched lower over Lyra's body, burying his face into the crook of her neck. He could still breathe in her unique scent. But...he had truly lost her.

Inukimi was utterly stunned at her son's behaviour. To show such weakness and vulnerability over the death of a woman was unlike him. Rin cried as well whilst Jaken sniffed and wiped the tears from his eyes. Inukimi called Jaken over to her.

"Tell me about this woman," she said. "How was she able to sway my son's heart?"

Jaken told her briefly how Lyra had come into their world. He spoke about her and Sesshomaru's relationship and the changes in his behaviour towards her. Sesshomaru remained a feared and powerful demon amongst the lands, yet with Lyra he was calm and compassionate. However, he would sometimes show mercy to others if he knew Lyra would disapprove. He then went on to inform her about her marriage and that she had refused to return to Sesshomaru. Yet he left everything behind when he learned of her death to save her. Now that he was unable to bring her back, he was suffering. Inukimi listened to the imp while watching her son mourn over her body. She then let out a sigh.

"My son has finally found love and she's been taken away from him," she said to herself. "As a mother I am unable to stand idly by while he suffers."
Jaken blinked. "What will you do, Lady Mother?"

Inukimi walked passed the imp and placed her hand on Sesshomaru's shoulder. He sat up, his eyes showing nothing but his heartbreak. His mother held up the stone pendant around her neck.

"This is the Meidō stone. Your father gave it to me," she explained. "I will help you this one time."

Sesshomaru looked at her, unsure as to what his mother meant. Inukimi removed the necklace from around her neck and placed it on Lyra. Everyone watched in silence, Sesshomaru holding his breath as his heart pounded against his chest.

A white light began to glow from the stone, spreading out in waves. As the light dissipated, Lyra slowly opened her eyes. Sesshomaru felt his heart jump as his eyes widened slightly.

Lyra looked up at him. She was confused as to what was happening. Seeing Sesshomaru looking down at her with the blue skies behind him, she thought she was dreaming.

'I died... Am I in heaven..?'

"Lady Lyra!" Jaken gasped in joy. "You're alive!"

Lyra turned her head and saw Jaken and Rin both grinning, and a lady she had never seen before. She then felt Sesshomaru's hand on her cheek and she returned her gaze to his face. She didnt know if she was still dead or if she was alive. She didn't care. Sesshomaru was with her and that's all that mattered. Tears welled up in her eyes as she placed her hand over his.