Chapter 11. Anxiety

Start from the beginning

The true plan was that we all got knocked out and locked up so that Zero could be unleashed because we realised that we needed him to be able to get into the base but... last time when we captured Natsu I realised why Brain loved him so much. He was a beautiful, pure ruby.

He needed to be rolled around, squeezed, checked up close to see if he was real and when you find a stone prettier than a ruby. You sell the old for the gold.

I want Natsu Dragneel so badly that it hurts me, it frustrates me that Brain could get to him before me!

I want to protect him yet break him down with my own hands! Destroy him over and over until he breaks and is beyond use!

I will get Natsu back! Even if I die trying!

And besides... this was all part of the plan...

Operation Free Dragneel is in motion.

Grays POV

I frowned at Natsu and stopped talking, he seemed completely out of it and lost in thought. I reached my hand across to him and lightly took his hand in mine, making him jump slightly and refocus on me.

"Is everything alright?" I asked him and Natsu's eyes instantly began to well up.

I pulled Natsu into a comforting hug, the stubble on his head prickled my cheek but I didn't mind. I rubbed his back while he quietly cried into my shoulder.

"I'm scared, Gray." Natsu sobbed slightly, his voice cracking and as did my heart.

"Is this because of Midnight?" I asked and Natsu nodded.

"You don't need to worry about Midnight, he won't even be able to lay a finger on you. Now I have the ability to protect you, even if it means taking my own life I am willing to do that for you." I whispered back to him reassuringly as he slowly began to calm down.

"W-Why would you do that?" Natsu asked, his voice still shaky.

"I would do that because I love you, Natsu Dragneel." I told him and pulled away so that I could see his face.

We stared into each others dark eyes, my eyes flickered down to the dark bags under his eyes and I felt a pang in my chest. Natsu's eyes were slightly red and puffy but he still looked beautiful to me.

I couldn't resist it, I closed my eyes as I leaned forward and gently pressed my lips to his. Natsu seemed slightly shocked and I pulled away after a few seconds, my cheeks burning a little while Natsu's cheeks glowed bright red.

We sat in silence for a little while longer, Natsu avoided my eyes because he was still embarrassed. I however, took in ever feature on his face yet I don't know why.

I felt like I needed to memorise every scar, every eyelash, every wrinkle, every detail that made Natsu, Natsu. Maybe it was so that no after what happened, I would never forget anything about him.

"Um... Gray...?" Natsu asked, looking sheepish.

I hummed 'yes' in reply.

"Could you... could you do that a-again?" He asked, his cheeks burning brighter than before.

A grin spread across my face and I pulled Natsu close to me so that he sat on my lap with his legs wrapped around my waist. Natsu seemed embarrassed of our position but didn't argue.

I found myself gazing into his eyes once again before pulling him close and pressing my lips to his. Natsu melted into the kiss and slowly began to kiss back to my relief.

I decided not to go too far and start making out with him too early but passion still filled our kiss. He still needs time and I'm willing to give him all the time he needs.