Chapter 2

A/N: Second update today :)

---------------------

"Avery?" Dad knocks on the door sounding defeated.

"Go away." I mumble into my pillow.

"I'm not going anywhere." He replies quickly, and although he's on the other side of the door, I know he's scowling at me.

I have to laugh. He can't be serious. "And I'm supposed to believe that?" I snap at him.

With that, he barges in to find me laying on my bed. "Dammit, Avery! I'm sorry I left okay? I'm here now and I'm not leaving again."

I begin to feel guilty for the way I've been treating him. Even though he's a terrible father for abandoning me for nine years, maybe he's taken that time to change. Maybe he's a new man, a man who can actually be my father.

"I'm sorry I was rude at dinner." I apologize reluctantly.

"It's okay," He sighs. "You left before the big news though."

"Oh?" I look at him confused. I don't know if I can handle any more 'big news' in my life.

"Yes, Anne and I wanted to tell you and Harry that we are getting married." He smiles and looks down to his hands. "I proposed last weekend."

"Oh..." I say again. I'm speechless. What does this mean for me? Will he leave me again to start a family with Anne and Harry?

"I know you just moved here and are still getting adjusted, but we wanted you to know. You're apart of my life now, and I want you to be comfortable with Anne and Harry."

My stomach begins to twist and my head is spinning at his words. What if Anne tries to replace my mother? I don't need another mother, I need my mother.

"Avery? Are you okay?" Dad frowns.

"Yeah, just a little tired." I lie.

"Come on, sweetheart. I'm not going to sit here and act like I know you anymore, but I know when there's something bothering you. I'm sorry for everything, sweetheart, but I'm trying now. I'm not going to leave again." He says softly and joins me on my bed. "Tell me what's on your mind."

"I don't even know, Dad." I sigh and roll to my side so I'm facing him now. More tears fall and I feel him wrap his arms around me when I close my burning eyes.

"Ave, you can tell me, okay?"

Where do I start? I'm sick of the ache in my hurt that feels like it's never going to subside. Everything around me is caving in, and I haven't a clue where to begin fixing it. What has become of my life? A damn mess, that's for sure.

"I just miss Mom." I sob into his chest. I guess we'll start there, seeing that is the root of all my problems tonight.

"Shh, it's okay," He whispers and kisses my head while rocking back and forth. "It's okay to miss her."

"I don't want to have another mother. I don't want Anne to pity for me." I admit. God, I'm pathetic. I'm seventeen years old and I'm afraid for the father who I've seen more of in the past two weeks than the last nine years of my life to get married.

"She doesn't pity you, sweetheart. Why would you say that?"

"Didn't you hear her at dinner? She feels bad about Mom dying. I don't want her to replace Mom." I tell him truthfully. I don't know what it is, but I feel like me and Dad are getting back on track, and I can't deny the fact that it feels really good.

"Avery... She doesn't know about your mother." He pauses and sits up straight on the bed, running his hands through his short hair. "I haven't told her yet."