“Luke you broke all your ribs Luke, that’s 24. Beau cracked 9 and wouldn’t leave his bed for a week”

“I know” I said waiting for her to get to a point with this.

“Just let me help you Luke, you’re not fine. Please stop saying you are when you’re clearly not. Just let me in Luke” My Mum said sounding desperate, I could see tears forming in her eyes.

“Okay then, Mum I’m telling you honestly, I am fine” I said slowly, it was a total lie, everywhere hurt when I so much as breathed but I was beginning to get used to it and the pain had definitely gotten better.

“I know you’re lying” She said then left, closing the door behind her.

She spent the rest of the day tidying the house because Uncle Paul was visiting all the way from the gold coast. I was dreading it, he hated me.

Beau came back from work before Jai came back from school. He came into the living room but didn’t say anything.

Jai came back but then went for a shower. I was dreading Uncle Paul coming.

Eventually the dreaded noise of a car pulling up came at half past eight. I tried to get out of it by telling mum I was tired, I felt sick, I was in pain and could I please go to bed but she just said “wait until Uncle Paul gets here” over and over again.

Beau and Jai left the room and I heard talking in the hallway, then the door opened and everyone walked in. Uncle Paul sat on the other sofa and Beau sat next to him, then Mum sat on the sofa opposite, I was sat on the sofa in-between them directly facing the TV, and Jai came and sat next to me. I groaned slightly as Jai sat down causing the sofa to change level moving my ribs.

“You okay Luke?” Mum asked quickly

“Yeah” I said quietly.

Mum left to get make some coffee’s so Uncle Paul talked to Beau and Jai. Mum finally came back in and handed everyone a coffee. I kept my eyes on the mug so I didn’t have to talk. Mum started asking things about Uncle Paul and then he, it turn asked about Mum. He talked to Beau about his acting and asked Jai how he was getting on with his football, and then he came to me.

“And Luke, what is it exactly you’ve been getting up to?” He asked with that tone in his voice.

I didn’t answer so Mum answered for me.

“Luke’s been doing really well at school with media” Mum said, just trying to not make me sound like a waste of space.

“Oh, that’s good then” He said.

“Oh I still need to set your bed up, Beau you’re moving in with Luke and Jai tonight, come and help move your things.” Mum said

“No let me” Uncle Paul said getting up.

“No, no, I bet you’re tired from the drive up” Mum said leaving with Beau.

“JAI COME AND PICK YOUR UNIFORM UP” Mum shouted from our room. Jai got up and left leaving me alone with Paul.

“Well Luke, looks like the tables have turned doesn’t it” He said looking at me, I refused to make eye contact with him and continued to look at my mug.

“It’s not your Mum who’s the poor defenceless one, now it’s you. Not so tough now are you kid. Stopped beating your brother up? Stopped being such a shit to your Mum? She hasn’t rung me in tears about your behaviour in a while.” He snarled

“Not even going to look at me? Is the tough little guy stuck all helpless in bed?” He said coming closer to me.

“LOOK AT ME WHILE I’M TALKING TO YOU” He growled, I refused to look up from my mug.