Chapter Five

Luke’s POV

I looked down at my feet, all the moving traffic beneath me, if I jumped now would anybody care? I put my hand over my cheek, over the imprint of Mum’s hand, I deserved that slap, I deserved so much more than that. I stepped down from the wall of the bridge and sat on the old deserted bridge. I couldn’t do this anymore, I couldn’t hurt Jai; it was killing me. Last night when I went round and told Tom what I’d done to Jai he’d been really happy with me. I got up and slowly trudged home, well to Toms, I knew I wasn’t welcome at my house. I walked through the house and walked into the small damp room that was now mine, I collapsed into the tatty mattress with springs sticking out and pulled the itchy ratty blanket over myself.

I thought about what I’d lost. I’d lost my relationship with my brother, I’d lost my mother’s trust and respect and I’d lost a caring loving family. I cried and I cried; I couldn’t do anything to undo this mistake.

I didn’t move from that mattress all night and the whole of the next day. I finally dragged myself up the next evening and checked my texts; I had loads from Mum and missed calls. I knew she’d go mental at me so I ignored them; I should just stay away from my family from now on, I’d done enough to hurt them. I used the toilet and then crawled back into my bed, I stayed in there for another night, I so bored but I didn’t want to go out, just in case I ran into anyone.

The next morning I dragged myself out of bed, I had a shower and changed into some borrowed clothes and then settled on the TV for the day. In the evening I realised I was hungry, really hungry. I opened the fridge not expecting much because Jake always got take-out. Surprisingly I found some bacon in the fridge, it didn’t look to fresh but I guess it wouldn’t hurt. I fried the bacon but I was still hungry, I looked through the cupboards some more and found some ham, I stuffed three slices in my mouth before I realised it was mouldy, ew. Wait that bacon tasted funny too, I thought it was just because I hadn’t cooked it that well, oh my god it was really mouldy.

I went and sat down on the sofa hoping I wouldn’t get sick from it, I lay there for a while, I heard Jake come home with some people but they went into his room, he didn’t sound drunk surprisingly. I started to get a really bad stomach ache and felt like I was going to be sick any minute; I dragged myself to the bathroom and sat by the toilet. I threw up to the point where I was just retching because nothing was coming out. I just sat by the toilet, my vision started to go a bit black.

“LUKE” I heard Jake shout and footsteps coming towards me, I tensed my body up, Jake got violent when he was stoned. The door flung open and he grabbed me by the arm and dragged me to my room, he threw me down on the bed and started kicking me all over.

“YOU USELESS PIECE OF SHIT” He shouted as he carried on kicking me. He finally gave up and left the room. I just lay there; I was so sore and felt so ill.

**************************

*THREE DAYS LATER*

“Ow” I groaned as I held my stomach, Jake had been in here a lot, he knew I was ill and he thought he was going to have to call an ambulance which meant they’d see the drugs in the house and he’d go to jail. He was getting really stressed because of this and kept regularly beating me up.

“Jake he need to go to the hospital, he could die” Someone said from the doorway, I couldn’t look to see who it was; my eyes were to swollen from all the punches.

“No, he’ll be fine” Jake snapped

“What if he does die, the police will be all over us”

“We can’t take him to the hospital, they’ll want details”

“Well you can’t leave him here”