Chapter Ten

Last Chapter (I know, it’s very emotional)

Luke’s POV

“Jai, it’s time for school” I heard Mum say as I woke up.

Jai stirred next to me and I could feel Mum shaking him as the bed was slightly moving.

“Morning Jai, breakfast’s on the table, okay?” Mum asked

“Mm” Jai groaned.

I wasn’t resting my legs on anything so Beau had obviously gone. A few minutes later Jai got up and left, then I opened my eyes and looked around. I was in the same position as last night, except all the takeout had gone.

I opened my eyes but Mum had already left, so I slowly sat up and swung my legs around the side of the bed.

 I slowly got up minding my ribs and slowly shuffled to the kitchen. I slowly sat down in my usual seat as Mum had put a pillow against the hard wooden back of the chair. I relaxed back into the pillow and reached for some toast that was in the middle of the table.

“Morning hun” Mum said as she rushed around clearing up after Jai and Beau

“Morning” I said quietly as I was really tired still.

Jai poured some milk but slightly moved his hand and the edge of the cartoon moved causing it to spill down the side of the glass.

“Oops” Jai said

Mum sighed and came over with a cloth and cleared it all up.

“Stop, I’ve just cleaned, Uncle Paul’s coming round later” Mum half shouted putting a plate under me to stop my toast crumbs going everywhere.

“Sorry” Jai said sipping his milk

“Just go to school” Mum said taking his plate off him.

I got up as well but mum gently pushed my shoulder down.

“No Luke, not you” Mum said “Just sit still, I’ll sort you out on the sofa in a minute”

“I’m fine Mum”

“No, I remember how much pain Beau was in when he cracked 9 of his ribs; you’ve broken all of them.”

“Beau’s a wuss” I mumbled quietly

Mum sighed and turned around to face me.

“You don’t have to pretend with me Luke” She said softly

“What?” I asked

“You don’t need to act all tough Luke, not around me. I know what you’re like inside. Beau’s no more of a wuss than you are, you just don’t show it”

“I’m not a wuss” I objected

“I’m not saying you are I’m just saying you need to let me in, and say when you’re hurt. I’m not going to think any less of you for having an occasional cry, it’s healthy.”

“I’m not going to cry Mum” I said

Mum didn’t say .anything; she simply took my plate and put it in the sink, then left the room. I heard her getting the sofa bed out and walking around the house, then she came in to get me. She helped me up and took me into the living room where she’d set up a bed. She helped me in then turned the TV on. She then came and sat down next to me on the sofa.

“Do you understand the definition of ‘broke’ Luke?” She asked

“What? Of course I do, I’m not retarded” I said