Chapter Three

Ryker took me inside his home and lead me to his lounge room where I plopped down on the couch. My head, dizzy from all the thoughts and eyes heavy with the longing for my aunt and uncle, Ryker tried to mask a grimace through a sympathetic smile. Turning slowly and reaching for his red shirt, he pulled it over his head and  fixed his hair, all the while never taking his gaze from my own. When he was finished he settled beside me, nudging my shoulder. “What's wrong? What happened?”

"Aunt Sarah and Uncle James, t-they..." I couldn't speak, my voice hoarse and cut off by the soft croaks coming from my throat. I didn't want to cry again, so I blinked back the tears, inhaled deeply as Ryker waited patiently. "They want me to cross the White Line." I finally managed to finish my sentence.

"The White Line? But we were told never to cross it." Ryker's eyes widened in shock.

"I know that." I took out the note my parents handed to me and fiddled it in my fingers. "Uncle James told me to read this once I've crossed the line." I desperately wanted to read it now, the tear-stained paper stared at me, daring me to open it and read what was written inside, but I couldn't break the promise I had made. The last promise I might ever make to them.

Ryker stood up and grabbed my backpack, hitching it over his shoulder and holding out his hand. "Come on." He said. I stared at his creamy hand for a moment, wondering what he was up to before I slid my fingers through his own and trailed behind him as he walked.

"What are we doing, where are you taking me?" I mumbled, puzzled as he lead me through his apartment towards his bedroom.

"I'm going to pack." We entered his room, which looked more like a hotel room, objects of all kinds were scattered around the floor. He stepped around the mess started unloading his dresser, shoving the clothing carelessly into a backpack of his own after handing me mine.

"You're not coming with me."

"Of course I am, Em. I'm not letting you cross the line alone."

"But it's too dangerous, we don't even know what will happen once we do, I can't let you. Ryker I don't want you to get hurt." I sympathized.

He turned to me with a small smirk printed on his lips. "I think I have a better chance of surviving out there than you do." He zipped up his bag and dropped it beside mine. They both laid together at my feet.

"I guess you're right." I admitted, suppressing a smile. He was right of course, Ryker had been a natural born hunter all his life and he was as stealthy as a lion, whatever laid beyond that line I had no chance of surviving against alone. Plus, a small part of me admitted that I really didn't want to go through this by myself.

"Good," he picked up his bag an handed me mine. "Let's go."

We left the house and traveled to the edge of the city towards the forest. It was nearing nightfall, the sun was setting into the horizon and stars sparkled overhead. The sky was a deep orange and yellow and as the sun went down, the moon shone through the trees brightly. It was breath-taking and I was afraid I might never see it again.