Chapter One

"Your behavior is unacceptable Emery Watson! Do you think you can just walk into my school and do whatever you want?!" Principal Howard yelled at me from across his desk. He leaned forward in his chair, his eyes narrowed and his face scrunched in frustration. "You are nothing but trouble Miss. Watson. I'll show you, you can't just come in here and give my school a bad reputation, there are consequences for your actions." He sat back into his chair and stroked his white untamed beard as he glared over at me.

I sat opposite him, my arms folded over my chest and a small smirk tugging at the corners of my mouth. "You need to chill, sir." I said. Those five, small, innocent words were all it took to send Principal Howard into a fit of rage. His wrinkly old face nearly went purple before finally, he managed to scream, "Get the hell out of this building!"

Standing up, I bent over and bowed just to anger him further, and then I walked out of the room. My mission to make the Principal shit himself was accomplished.

••>••>•<••<••

"Expelled?" Aunt Sarah looked at me with bewilderment.

"That's what I said." I answered with my arms folded over my chest.

Aunt Sarah ran both of her hands through her thick graying curls and muttered inconsiderate words under her breath. I had to say, she was taking it rather calmly. Normally she word be freaking out and disciplining me like no tomorrow, but she was handling it pretty well.

My uncle, on the other hand, was the problem.

"This has gone on long enough, Emery." He spoke, giving me a disappointed glare. He pointed his index fingers towards me. "You listen here now because I'm not going to say it again."

I sighed and faced him, my expression unwavering. "Yeah, go ahead."

He furrowed his eyebrows at my comment but continued to speak. "You are going to change. From now on, you will not be this reckless, trouble-making girl anymore. I am sick and tired of having to move you to different schools every year because you messed up."

Everyday was the same. I would come home from school after doing something "bad" and I would get the same old boring lecture about how I am wasting my life by causing trouble. I huffed under my breath. If I wanted to be the good girl, with the high grades and the exceptional future I could be, but that just isn't me. Emery Watson doesn't do “goody-two-shoes.”

Uncle James rubbed the side of his face with his hand and let out a long sigh. "Your father had a saying, he said that if you do good things for other people and have responsibilities, then your life will get a whole lot easier-"

"That's nice," I interrupted him with my sarcasm. "That's really nice Uncle James. So where is he?"

"What?"

"Where is he?" I repeated the question and Uncle James only looked back at Aunt Sarah, who had a worried look on her face. "Where is my father now?"

"Emery, that's not the point-"

"You don't think that it is his responsibility to be here and to be the one saying this to me himself? Where is he now Uncle James?" I stared at him, waiting for an answer, but he only blinked a couple of times and kept his mouth gaped open slightly. I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "That's what I thought." I turned around and began to run upstairs to my room.

"Emery!" Aunt Sarah called after me but the only reply she received was the sound of my door shaking on it's hinges when I slammed it shut.

I jumped onto my bed, grabbed one of my pillows, buried my head into its softness and screamed until my voice was hoarse and my throat felt like I'd swallowed a lit match, and then I cried silently into the darkness. Responsibility? What a load of bullshit. My father was never responsible for me because he was never there for me when I needed him the most. Where was he when I lost my first tooth? Where was he when I aced my first exam? Where was he? I didn't know where he was, but I did know that he was never coming back.

••>••>•<••<••

A/N:

Yay first chapter is up! So sorry for the late delay everyone, we just had to finalise everything :) We hope you enjoy this chapter :D xxx

Emery to the side >>>

~ Lion and Crow