50 - W A N D E R E R

My first interest lies in the man we saw moments ago. I have a feeling he has answers, so I make it my mission to find him and hit him with an interrogation of sorts. He didn't seem particularly dressed one way or another from what my shaky memory recalls. Not what Travis used to wear working the perimeter, and certainly not the rags the rest of us wore as regular civilians living inside that bunker.

Maybe he's just a wanderer.

My mind is foggy on my exact location in regards to where the bunker resides. It wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world if some or all of the The Five joined me until we found it before taking off. But here I am. Truly alone. It sure has been a while since then.

Before, when I thought I was all by myself, Brink had been hiding in the shadows, keeping watch from a distance. Otherwise, there's always been someone around. The time before Travis and I stumbled upon each other is the last memory I have of being absolutely independent. I'm getting deja vu, and it's the strangest feeling, like my life is restarting in a way. I have a chance for a do-over right here, right now. I have the option to leave the superhuman business behind me, treat it as a blip in my life, and move on if I want. I am recreating my fate at this very moment, rewriting the history of Aurora Mayfield. My options are infinite.

However, here I am, reverting back to what I know, what I'm comfortable with. I'm on the search for a man I've never met to reach my mother again. Gush about my history to her, whether she knows the truth or not. I want her embrace. I want the comfort of being in her presence again. We never got a proper goodbye to begin with; if I get the chance, that's the least I can do before setting off on a new journey. I owe her that‍‍.

I brush my hand along the ragged bark of a tree as I meander around a curve. Luckily, the brick pathway offers some ease. I don't need to trek through knee-high grass which is a plus. The weather is also a plus. There's a slight breeze in the air, humid, like it's recently rained or will soon. Nevertheless, the sun is still decently bright, despite it being partially covered by the clouds. I'm guessing it's midday, maybe late afternoon, given its position. Any sunlight is better than none, which makes me happy, I suppose.

The maze of brick road drives me a little mad, but eventually opens up to a much larger clearing, giving me some sense of options. The man, however, is nowhere in sight. The pathway split in three different directions. I could continue straight down toward the Washington monument, or take a shot in the dark and make my way past some of the smithsonians. I squeeze my eyes shut and attempt to visualize an aerial view of where I'm standing. I've been to D.C. once in my life, aside from the last trip. And of course, I recognized nothing then due to the destruction. I followed like a sheep, and didn't pay much attention. This is all on me now. No one else.

I think hard, trying visualize the corners. Lincoln Memorial, Capitol building, White House...which way?

Washington Monument first. That's at the center, right? Plus, it's on somewhat of a hill. Maybe it'll give me some perspective. So that's where I head. That's my next stop.

On a mission, I put on my determined face and march my way over, forgetting about the wanderer, forgetting about any other plan other than going to the bunker and seeing what's left of it.

The grass is itchy, and since I'm cutting across the lawn, I have to endure it for a while. It tickles in all the wrong places and triggers some sleeping insects awake, which has me picking up my pace even more. I'm steadily jogging when I start checking my surroundings for signs of humanity. The open field is not doing me well at this point, given that this is where many of the infected moshed outside of the bunker. I remember running around here, trying to sneak past them. I'm not sure if the absence of people in this area is a good or bad sign.