38 - F A C I N G / T H E / F A C T S

On our trip home from the dinner, Stella is talking up a storm. The news of the formal wear arriving has put her in a very spunky mood. Apparently while everyone eats, a few select people go around delivering fancy outfits for tomorrow's ball.

I'm still not sure I've grasped the whole thing.

Stella immediately goes to the closet upon entering our dwelling.

"Oh my gosh! You gotta see these!" she squeals.

"This is where we stay?" Brink asks. I hadn't realized he's never been here before they scooted him off to the laboratory.

"Yeah, it's a little small," I say with a laugh. "I'm guessing Stella found our dresses," I mumble.

As the confusion hits Brink head-on, I step toward the closet and hang on the door frame while Stella's excitement continues, giggles and all.

"They look like prom dresses," I comment.

"Don't they? Look how pretty they are. And they're both the same size," Stella cheers. She trails on as I take in the glittering beauties. I'm actually quite impressed. They look just like they came from a girl's dream closet, clean and sparkly and desirable. My insides squirm at the thought of pinning my hair up and pampering myself.

"You know which one you're wearing," Stella points out, wiggling her eyebrows at me.

I place my fingers on my chin sarcastically. "Hmm, no idea."

Her mischievous smile turns sultan. "You know the blue one will look so good beside Brink. It must be a perfect match. Wouldn't you say?"

I scan over the shimmering turquoise gown, littered with tiny silver gemstones and sequins. I take the fabric in my hands and caress the tulle, play with it in my fingers and watch it glisten when it moves. "I'd have to agree with you. But no one said anything about dates."

She giggles again. "It'll be just like prom! You guys will be matching and it'll be perfect. I'm excited for you to look smashing in this thing."

I roll my eyes and catch the two tuxes hanging nicely beside each other behind both of the voluptuous gowns. They are classic tuxedos, all black with a white undershirt. I've never envisioned Brink in a tux before. Seeing him in anything but his suit has already thrown me off. I guess now, he'll be in a different kind of suit. I'm actually...thrilled for it.

"You're so quiet," Stella whispers. "Something wrong?"

I can't say my mind has totally given up on the Brink situation. In fact, as soon as Stella finishes, I'm taking Brink to the bathrooms where he'll have to tell me what really went on today.

"I'm okay. This will be fun," I finish, wanting so badly to shift my train of thought to something more positive.

Stella spreads her arm across my shoulders and tugs me into her for a squeeze. "It will be fun."

I mumble something incoherent and follow behind Stella as she zips out the closet and bounces around the room like a kangaroo.

"Go on and show me, Stella...before you explode through the ceiling," Zeriah offers.

Stella drags him into the closet as I meet eyes with Brink.

"I didn't think you were the type to get all crazy about pretty things," Brink admits.

I release a shaky sigh and brush my hair back with my fingers. "It's gotta be in every girl's DNA somewhere."

"Even superhuman girls," he adds with a smirk.