Chapter 1

7:00am. Every morning was the same. Wake up. Get dressed. Go to breakfast. Do chores. Get tormented by the other kids. Nothing new. Jack woke up and stared at his ceiling. Another day in hell. Another day just the same as the rest. He went to the bathroom and got in the shower. After a few minutes, someone was banging on the door, shouting for him to hurry up and get out. But Jack didn't listen. This was the one time he got to be alone. This was the only place he could think without being disturbed. He would face the consequences of 'wasting water' later. It was worth it. After another 20 minutes, he got out and unlocked the door. Nathan was stood outside. He was older, taller and cruel. He loved to pick on Jack and to make his life miserable.

"Next time you ignore me, you're going to regret it" he hissed as he slammed Jack against the wall. Jack didn't even flinch. He was used to it. It didn't bother him anymore. Nathan walked off and left Jack alone in the corridor. He took a deep breath and returned to his room. He dressed himself and then went downstairs.

He was sat at the table when his social worker turned up.

"Hey sweetie" she said, a cloud of sweet perfume filling Jacks nose.

"Hi" he mumbled back, keeping his head down.

"Come to the office, I want to speak to you" she said, as she walked away. Jack waited until the clicks of her heels had faded away then followed where she went until he reached the office. He opened the door and walked in.

Inside was his social worker Zoe, and the person who ran his care home, Mrs Smith. Mrs Smith had never liked him. He was quiet and withdrawn and made no effort with the other kids. Well that's what she thought anyway.

"Take a seat Jack" she said. Jack obeyed and sat at the edge of the couch.

"So Jack, we've got an exciting opportunity for you. A family would like to potentially adopt you!"

Jack just stared at her, face blank.

"Jack, this is a good opportunity for you! It's not often that families want to take in 15 year old kids"

Still Jack said nothing. People had tried to adopt him before and every single time, he was sent back within a few weeks. He was 'antisocial' and 'unwilling to give them a chance'. He couldn't deal with them sending him back to this place again. He couldn't take any more rejection.

"Well, they'll be here this afternoon to come and speak to you, so you better make sure you look... presentable" Mrs Smith said, looking him up and down with a disapproving glare.

"I'll be with you sweetie don't worry. It might work out this time!" Zoë said, smiling at Jack.

He just nodded and walked out the room. He went to his bedroom and locked the door behind him. What was he going to do now?