04. Free

Haru and Rin just entered a race together. They're going against each other.

'Just a little faster! I can do this! Faster, dammit! This is what I trained for! This moment! Faster!'

'The water..... It's cool on my skin. The speed I'm going makes me feel like I'm cutting through it. Like a dolphin..... The water is my true home. I feel..... Free.'

"Haruka Nanase for the Iwatobi Swim Club wins!"

Rin looked up at the score board. He lost. He's in second place. Haru's first.....

"Dammit!"

Rin ripped his goggles off his head and through them. He worked so hard for this.... And yet he still lost.

'I clearly don't have what it takes to become an Olympic swimmer.'

Haru looked over at him.

"Hey Rin.... You did well. I hope to race you again sometime."

Rin smirked.

'God.... He's so nice and quiet.... his eyes.... They match the water so perfectly. If it were anyone else I would've told them to go to hell. But not Haru. He's the exact opposite of me. Quiet.... Not a sore winner or loser..... Beautifully perfect.'

"Hey Haru.... Meet me in the locker room after Makoto's race."

He said staring at the water. Haru nodded his head and got out. He walked to his group of cheering friends. Rin got out and went to the locker room. Nitori followed him.

"Senpai! You swam wonderfully as usual! You were only two seconds away from first place!"

"Leave me alone Nitori."

Nitori stopped smiling. But he stayed where he was, talking quieter.

"Your dad would be really proud of you."

Rin looked up at Nitori with wide eyes.

".......thanks."

Nitori left after that. After a while, Rin heard someone walking towards him. He stood up to look.

'Haru.'

'Rin....'

"Haru."

Rin said his name with his deep, luring voice. Rin walked a bit closer to him.

"You did well in the race. Better than me, obviously."

"You made me come all the way here to tell me I did well?"

"No... Haru... My whole life has revolved around swimming. Like yours. At first I only swam for my father. But after I met and got to know you.... I realized..."

'What is he getting at? Is he saying he... Swims for me?'

"I realized that you were my role model. I tried everything to become as good as you. In my eyes, you were my best friend and my teacher. It killed me when I moved to Australia. But I did it so I could become as good as you..."

Haru looked into Rin's eyes. They were filled with an emotion Haru couldn't define.

"Rin...."

Rin pulled Haru closer to him an hugged him.

"My whole life had to do with what I thought was my love for swimming... But the other day, when I saw you at the mall.... I realized something I would've never guessed."

Haru's heart was pounding. His eyes were wide and his brain was trying to process what Rin was saying.

"My whole life has to do with my love for you."

Rin looked back at Haru. He looked into his cerulean eyes.

"I love you, Haru."

Haru placed his hands on Rin's jacket collar and pulled him forward. He crashed his lips onto his.

'What the hell am I doing... This is all so crazy.'

'We're kissing....'

Haru pulled away.

"Rin..."

Rin got a little angry.

"Aren't you going to say anything back?! You're just stand there and keep saying my name like you're crazy! I guess I was wrong when I thought the feeling was mutual..."

Rin walked away from Haru, now seething with rage. He just confessed his feelings and Haru is making the situation even MORE awkward!

"Rin!"

Haru ran after Rin; he finally caught up and grabbed hi shoulder.

"I do love you! I was shocked, that's all. I've been in love with you since elementary school.please Rin, I've had enough of us fighting!"

Rin laughed.

"Then stop talking.... And kiss me!"

Haru smiled and kissed him again.

Run pulled Haru a lot closer and wrapped his arms around his waist.

He finally told him. And he didn't freak out or run away. Haru loved Rin the way Rin loved Haru.

He was finally free.