Chapter 7

Sunday May 22nd, 2011

“What do you mean you don’t want anything to do with the preparations!?” I shout at Damon.

“I want the wedding to be exactly how you want it. As long as we both show up, I could care less how everything looks.” he says.

“You’re not getting out of this, Damon! You’re planning this wedding with me, whether you like it or not!” I shout again.

“What do you want me to do?” he asks looking exasperated.

“I want your input! I want you to have a say in this! Is that too much to ask?” I ask as Biri and Charlotte look on.

“What you do want me to do?” he asks again.

“Pick a damn color, a pattern, a flower. Damn it, Damon! This is your wedding too. I’m not planning this entire event while you stand on the sidelines and watch!” I shout rising from the couch and throwing the swatches to the floor. 

“Kitten, don’t go all bridezilla on me.“ he stands.

“Bridezilla? Wanting my future husband to have a say in what our wedding looks like is being a bridezilla!?” I ask feeling hurt.

“Don’t be like that. I just don’t think my input would matter. I want you to have you’re dream wedding. I want the wedding that you planned as a little girl.” he says taking my shoulders. When I was a little girl? I immediately slap the dark back in it’s place.

“My dream wedding is knowing that you had something to do with it. My dream wedding is knowing that you did this for me. I don’t want a wedding where you just let me go with a bunch money to do what I want, Damon. I want you here, with me. Planning this wedding, with me. Every step of the way. Can you do this for me?” I ask searching his eyes.

“I don’t think anything I’d have to say would help. We have wedding planners, Kitten. They know what they’re doing. Let them do their job.” he says.

“They wanna know what we want. Why are you making this so difficult?” I ask searching his eyes.

“Kitten, you’ve met me. You know I wouldn’t be good at any of this. Do what you want, the way you want.” he says.

“Damn it, Damon! It’s like pulling teeth with you! You ask me to marry you and then you want nothing to do with any part of it. You knew this would be an event. Why are you side steeping me at every turn?” I ask.

“You know why, Kitten.” he says slightly hanging his head.

“Are you freaking kidding me right now!? You pick now to have a masculinity issue!? Fine, I’ll give you one.”

“What are you talking about?” he cuts me off.

“For that past few months, when have I done anything without your input?

I redecorated my entire house to fit the both of our tastes, with you, by my side. You were perfectly fine then.”

“I was the one moving everything.” he cuts me off again and I only get angrier.

“Fine. You did the heavy lifting. And now you feel that picking a simple color or a simple flower would make you any less of a man? You wanted to be a dick to me about telling our family, our loved ones about our engagement. I can play that game too, Damon. You don’t want any part of this? Fine! I don’t want a damn wedding!” I shout turning on my heal when he grabs my arm.

“Kit, stop. You’re making this so much more than it is. Stop and breathe. Look at you right now. You’re practically boiling.” he says.

“You’re right. I am boiling. You were a dick about the engagement. I can be a bitch about the wedding. And trust me when I say, you don’t wanna see the bitch in me. Because, if I have to go there, you won‘t just be frustrated, you‘ll be completely deprived of all contact, physical and verbal.” I snarl reaching the tipping pot of my anger.

“Didn’t I catch a glimpse of it when you left all those years ago?” Is he serious right now?

“No that was a weak little girl who couldn’t hold her liquor.” I leer at him.

Sighing and running his hand through his hair, “Ok, I’ll do this for you. I’ll help.” he says.

“Was that so hard? Why is everything a pissing contest with you?” I ask.

“Because you‘re the only one who still smiles when the dust settles..” he says as he pulls me to him and puts his forehead to mine.

“This wedding isn’t gonna happen without you, you know?” I say wrapping my arms around his waist.

“Where do we start?” he asks turning to the two ladies who’ve been patiently watching my tirade, as we sit once more.

“Red or Blue?” Charlotte asks holding up backup swatches. She came prepared.

“I pick red. You look so good in red Kitten.” he says looking at me.

“But, you look damn sexy in blue.” I say taking his hand and he immediately toys my ring.

“Let’s remember that the dress will be white.” Biri says being the voice of reason.

“Who made that rule? Why does it have to be white?” Damon asks finding himself more invested than he thought possible.

“I do have a dress in mind.” I smile brightly and bend to take a folded paper out of my boot. Handing it to them, their eyes widen with excitement.

“I think we can make this dress happen. I know some top designers who could find or remake this dress.” Charlotte says.

“This is elegant and sexy. Are you sure this is the dress you want?” Biri asks.

“More than anything!” I respond wide-eyed. It’s a gorgeous red wedding dress with white underbrush. I loved it the instant I saw it.

They whisper to themselves for a minute, then they turn to us, “Damon, you have your color. Red it is.” Char says.

“We’re gonna go see about finding this dress and having it made. You can’t be too careful when it comes to the wedding dress of your dreams. We’ll inform you of our findings in a couple days.” Biri says.

As we walk them out Damon’s phone starts to ring.

Taking me in his arms, he checks the number, “Hello Brother…..It’s ready now?….How convenient. We just got through the first official step of planning our wedding…We’ll be there in a few.” he hangs up smiling down at me.

“What was that about?” I ask toying the buttons of his shirt.

“That, My Kitten, was the confirmation of a surprise that we have for you.” he says.

“Surprise?” my curiosity resurfaces after being hushed by my torturous time away.