Chapter 5

“Let me go, I’m calm!” I shout and struggle out of their grasp.

“Let. Her. Go.” Damon says from the background. 

They release me and I look Stefan in the eye, “That was for allowing yourself to be compelled into torturing me. As long as you understand that, we’ll be perfectly fine.” I say.

“You forgive me?” he asks.

“Stefan, the only reason I am forgiving you is because it wasn’t you. I know that. But, I promise you, if you ever torture me again, I’ll stake you myself.” I say and he pulls me into a giant hug.

“I’m so sorry. Thank you for forgiving me.” he says as he kisses the top of my head. Looking around I notice someone’s missing.

“Where’s Charlotte?” I ask.

“I knew it would be tense here, so I told them I’d let them know when you woke up.” Elena stands to hug me.

“What the hell is that!?” seeing Caroline being shocked isn’t new.

“What’s what?” I stepping away from Elena.

“On your finger! What is that?” Caroline questions.

“Oh my God! Is that?” Bonnie stands.

“Is it?” Jeremy chimes in.

“Kit?” Matt is next.

“No freaking way!” says Tyler.

“Damon?” the room fills with chatter as Stefan pulls Damon aside to question him. Looking at my hands, I hadn’t even noticed that my engagement ring is back in it’s rightful place. Alaric stands as if none of this is a shock to him.

Walking over to him, he pulls me into the dining room, out of earshot or the firing range of questions. 

He hugs me closer than he’s ever done, “I’m so happy for you. Congratulations.” he says in my ear. 

Pulling away from him, but not out of his grasp, I’m the one to look shocked. “You knew?” I ask.

“You think Damon and I just drink together? He brought up asking you to marry him, I knew a store.” he says.

“Did you help him pick it out?” I ask finding myself toying his shirt as he holds me by the waist.

“He wouldn’t let me. He was so frantic that day. I’d never seen him like that. He nearly ransacked the place until he find the perfect ring. We were in there most of the day. He’s very stubborn when he really wants something.” he says smiling like he knew the thought that played on my mind.

“You had absolutely nothing to do with this ring?” I ask holding my hand up to him.

“The only thing this ring and I have in common is that it came from the store I know. The rest is all Damon.” he smiles brighter.

“He didn’t compel anybody for it, did it?” I ask.

“Of course not. He said it’d cheapen the value of what it meant to him.” he smiles and I hug him once more before releasing. 

I love hearing him talk about his friendship with Damon. It’s refreshing and it reminds me that not everybody thinks of him as a selfish jackass. 

Walking back into the living room, Damon stands in the center, as if commanding attention. Oddly, everyone has there cell phones out.

He opens his arms for me, which brings a huge smile to my face. I pace over, trying not to run, to him and wrap my arms around him. He kisses my temple and whispers in my ear, “The right time, is now, My Kitten.”

Releasing me but keeping me under his arm, I see that all eyes and cameras are on us.

“Well, as most of you have figured out, this very stubborn, yet lovely woman under my wing has agreed to become my wife. Before any of you object to it, we’ve already had the discussion. We understand that it might be strange or maybe even wrong, but I don’t wanna live another day without her by my side. I love her as she loves me. That being said, Elena where’s that champagne?” he calls and Elena comes from the kitchen with a tray of champagne flutes and a bottle of champagne that I’m not too familiar with.

______________________________________________________

After filling all the glasses, we make our toasts to our engagement. Before everyone can drink, I have a toast of my own.

“I know you’re all happy for me and Damon. Believe me, I am over the moon. But, everything’s moved so fast that we’ve barely had time to acknowledge what’s happened here. I don’t want to bring the mood down, but I think we need to address the elephant in the room. We need to address the missing space in all of our hearts. I wanna toast to Jenna. She’s helped us all in some way. We’ve loved her all the same. Honestly, I don’t think I’d be standing here next to Damon, as his fiancé if it weren’t for her verbally kicking me where I needed it. So, let’s toast to her.” I say.

We all clink our glasses and give our regards to Jenna. Damon and I stay close to Ric, we both know how much he loved her.

“So have you set a date?” we all turn towards the door to see Charlotte and another woman, whom I recognize off the bat.

“Biri!?” I scream barreling my way to the door and grab her into a huge hug that nearly knocks her to the floor. 

“Hey, I’m glad you remember me. I was worried you wouldn’t after all this time.” she says holding me at arms length.

“Are you insane? You saved my life. I’m in your debt.” I say hugging her again, then greeting Charlotte with a huge hug just for her.

I lead them into the living room and make the formal introductions. My family welcomes them as their own. I had hoped for it. I notice Charlotte and Caroline have obviously gotten along in my absence, no doubt over fashion. Biri sticks close to me but I’m surprised when Bonnie rushes up to hug her furiously.  The room is filled with people I love and everyone is getting along amazing. It’s something I’ve only dreamed of as I stand off to the side watching and basking. Damon and Alaric are exchanging words. Tyler, Jeremy, and Matt are talking about getting a pool table in here somehow.

Charlotte and Caroline are showing off their shoes and accessories to each other. Stefan and Elena are huddled on the couch. Bonnie and Biri are laughing and exchanging stories about me.

I feel a presence beside me and I turn to see Elijah standing there.

“Wonderful sight to behold isn’t it?” he asks and I find myself hugging him fiercely.

“Are you okay?” I ask when we release.

“My brothers know where I stand. I’m here to protect you. They captured you once, it won’t happen again.” he says looking me in the eye.

“What did you mean when you said that I was special?” I ask remembering his words before he and Damon left that night.

“You are special in multiple ways. You will come to learn why.” he says as we watch the action in front of us.

“You’ve never been in a room of people who loved you, have you?” he asks noticing my smile.

“I had an amazing childhood before my father passed. After that, things just went downhill. This is the most love I’ve felt in one area, and it’s all for me and each other.” I say.

“Then savor this moment. You never know what it can do for you when you need it most.” he says.