Chapter 8- Leaving the Forbidden City

Chapter 8

" Wrong again. Just how many times have I told you that this is not the way to play the zither? Your finger should be placed here instead."  His  usually jovial voice turned stern as he guided my fingers gently to the correct position on the zither.

"Now, do it again. Play it like how I taught you ."

I did as he instructed , and soon enough,  the beautiful melody of the zither came flowing smoothly under my fingers.

I did it. Finally !  I exclaimed excitedly in my heart, proud that I have finally managed to master the zither.

Well, at least to a certain extent.

"There , see. I knew you could do it, for afterall, just how  bad can it be for a student under the guidance of the best zither player in the whole of the country ?  I bet even the deaf can play it after my guidance."  He said smugly.

"Yah!Take back your words. Are you implying that I'm tone deaf before you taught me? Take back your words."  I said in mock anger, trying to  look at him straight in the eye as I did so.

Only to find myself looking at a blurred  figure .

" I didn't say so. You said it by yourself . But I'm glad that you are so aware  of your own conditions." The still blurred figure  returned cockily.

"I dare you to say it again ."  I answered challengingly as I rose from my seat.

" Nothing. I said nothing." He replied as he inched slowly towards the door nervously .

"Too late."  I replied before running after his disappearing figure.

Running with all my might in the obstructive dress I was in, I could not help but laugh and giggle at the situation .

It was the most laughter I had in my entire life .

Still laughing as I ran, I collided right into his back .

Just as I was about to fall, he turned around swiftly to catch the falling me in his arms. Like a hero saving a damsel in distress .

Wrapping me in his strong embrace, he looked into my eyes tenderly before he said " I got y-"

" I got you."  A masculine voice suddenly whispered into my ears.

Huh?

My eyes shot open instantly upon hearing the unexpected whisper.

"What the? How the hell did we get into such a position ?"  I screamed loudly as I tried to untangle myself.

Kame's arms were wrapped around me in an embrace, my head snugly fitted under his head.Our legs were entangled together tightly , with our hair entwined together intimately.

The position that we were in was the very picture of an intimate couple. The very something that we were not.

"How would I know? I was just lying over there in my tiny corner of the bed when you suddenly came over to attack poor innocent me. My modesty has been outraged by you. I'm the victim over here."  Kame replied in  his mocking voice as he worked his fingers deftly to untangle our hair.

"Wha...what are you saying ? I never attack sleeping men in my sleep."  I exclaimed with a blush on my face.

"Then how do you explain this?"

"Erm..."

Okay, maybe I did attack him in my sleep. Trish did mention to me before that I had the tendency of grabbing onto her when we were sleeping together on the same bed.

Rolling his eyes at my silent acknowledgment,he said " Whatever. But come on, we should get out of bed. We are travelling back to Mongolia today."

Today? Oh right. Today is the day that a Qing Princess is lost in a political marriage . Today is the day  that we are leaving the Forbidden City to travel to Mongolia, Kame's territory. Today is the day that Trish and I are venturing out to the beyonds in Ancient China ...

"Alright.Get ready in two hours. We would be leaving then ." Kame briefed before leaving.

A few seconds later, Trish entered the room.

Wriggling her eyebrows at me suggestively , she said "So... That is your 'husband'? He is quite hot . And did something happen? I heard your scream. "

Blood rushed to my face in embarassment  as I chucked the pillow, or rather the hard jade block that we rested our heads on, at Trish.

"Shut up."

Laughing, she ducked away from the dangerous flying item.

"Come on milady ,let your humble lady-in-waiting prepare you for your journey ."

It has been decided that Trish was going to take on the role of my lady-in-waiting during the duration that we were going to spend here.

After one and a half hour of torture under Trish's hand, I finally looked decent and 'princessy' enough .Her words, not mine.

Holding onto Trish's hand, I gave the room that  I recided in a final look before leaving to join Kame at the palace gates.

-------------------------------

The power and grandeur of the ancient chinese royalty never fails to amaze me .

The sight that greeted me at the front of the palace gates was one that was majestic, and something that I thought only possible in the period dramas.

Thousands of soldiers stood at attention , waiting and guarding us from any possible threats.  The royal harem also stood close nearby, all decked out in fineries. Preciding over the entire entourage was the Emperor in his dragon robes.

" Ke Jing. Take care. You are now a married woman and no longer a little girl. Don't act wilful any more okay? If you have any problems over there in Mongolia, do remember that the Great Qing Empire is always your home. The gates of the Forbidden City is forever open to you." The Emperor said in a fatherly tone as he patted me on my head gently.

While we all knew that the last part of his sentence was a lie, for afterall I was a pawn in a political marriage ,it still touched me immensly to know that he cared.

Unlike the man I called 'Father' back home.

" Alright Ke Jing, it is time for you to leave. Take care." The Emperor announced as he led me towards the carriage that I would be sharing with Trish.

Kame took my hand away from the Emperor with a polite smile before  helping me up the carriage.

With that done, he turned to leave for his horse. He was going to ride horseback all the way to Mongolia, like the real 'Mongolian' who has been born and raised on the horseback that he say he is .

After Trish was helped onto the carriage, the carriage started moving .

Looking at the views that flashed pass my eyes with the moving carriage, I knew at once that this trip was going to be the start of a new journey.

I was right.But I did not know then that leaving the Forbidden City would be the start of my journey towards heartbreak and a certain death...

-------------------------------

A/N

I'm on a roll guys. Two updates in a week :)

A great big thank you to all the loyal readers and fans of Back in Time, you have been the motivation for the two updates this week.

Do continue reading, voting, fanning/ recommendng this book .

autumn_hapiness

p.s. For those of you who do not know, the Forbidden City is the name that is given to the palace  in Beijing during the Qing Dynasty.