Chapter 30 - It Feels So Good To Love Again

"Does it hurt?"

"It does if I let myself think about it for too long."

"I know what you mean."

"Does it hurt for you?"

"Sometimes. But then I remember that we are free of Cody and our family is slowly becoming a little less dysfunctional."

"Yeah, I get the same feeling, only with Christian. He was never a positive influence in the family."

Jake and I are standing in front of the rubble he once called his house. We hold hands whenever we stop so that I can use my crutches to walk, but other than that we just smile at each other when we can't hold hands.

I honestly never thought I'd fall in love with him like this again, especially after finding out he was possibly using me. He, however, proved otherwise and it makes me love him even more. The struggles we went through together have brought us even closer and whenever I'm not at school or at therapy, I'm probably with him.

I was worried that Jace would be mad, but he's been fine with it as he's been busy with his own love life. He's taken a fancy to Hadley and even though it's extremely awkward for me, I can't stop him. She's a great girl, much better than any of the other girls Jace has dated, and I know she will be good for him. He deserves someone like her after what he's gone through.

Looking back at the house, I can't help but worry about Jake's family situation. It makes my stomach twist uncomfortably.

"Where are you guys living now?" I ask, looking at the ground.

"We're renting an apartment until my parents can gain the funds for another house. They could build another one now if the government wasn't making them pay for clean up, but we will manage. I've actually not minded it. There's so much less space to clean."

"You guys have to pay for the mess?" I ask, frowning.

"Yes. Sam, we are fine. My parents make plenty."

"I hope so."

We let go of each other's hands and keep walking along the sidewalk. Neither of us say anything until we get back to the park next to his house. He sits down on the bench we were at before we went walking and I plop down next to him. Then he wraps his arm around me and brings me close to him.

"Sam?"

"Yes?" I reply, leaning my head against his shoulder.

"I love you."

"I love you, too."

"Sam, I really mean it. People use that phrase so freely these days, but I don't. When I say it, I mean it with everything I have. I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

What do you even say to something like that? I am completely taken aback by his sincerity and I can't find any words. Instead, I smile and give him a long kiss. We haven't kissed on the lips at all since we broke up and it feels so amazing.

"I love you, too. I love you more each day and I would love to spend the rest of my life with you, too," I say when we finally stop kissing.

"Are you sure, Sam?" he asks. "Don't let me pressure you into doing something you don't want to do."

"Jake, I want this. Leaving you was so hard and I never want to leave you again. You showed me what it's like to be loved and how to love again. I love you and I want to be with you...always."

His beam is impossible to miss and he gives me a giant bear hug. I hug him back gently so I don't hurt his injuries and I kiss his cheek to make sure he knows I mean every word I said.

"So what do you say?" he grins, hugging me tightly. "Shall we give it another try?"

"That's no way to ask a girl out," I tease, playfully punching his arm.

"Isn't it?" he chuckles.

"Nope," I grin evilly.

"Alright, give me a minute," he says, scooting out from behind me. He gently helps me sit back and gets down on his knee in front of me. He takes my hand between his palms and I let out a small laugh.

"Samantha McFarland," he says in his most formal voice. "I would be honored if I could call you my girlfriend again. Will you give me that?"

"Ew, that sounded like a marriage proposal," I stick my tongue out at him and smirk.

"No, that'll come later, sweets," he says, winking at me.

"Oh, wow," I laugh, brushing my hair out of my blushing face.

"So will you?"

"Of course I will," I smile. He grins back and cups my cheek in his hand.

"That's good enough for me," he says before his lips crash against mine. My stomach feels with butterflies as I kiss him back, but these aren't nervous butterflies. They're happy butterflies, ones that fill me with overwhelming love for Jake.

It feels so good to love again.