Chapter 1 - Apparently Jace isn't Done Crossing the Line Today

"Class, today's word is charismatic," my teacher writes on the board. "It means 'possessing an extraordinary ability to attract', similar to how Victor captivates people like Eileen in our story."

"Oh my heck, you mean people like Jace McFarland?" a cheerleader named Hallie squeals. I bury my head in my elbow and let out an enormous sigh.

I should have seen that one coming...

Jace McFarland just happens to be my brother, the bad boy of the high school. Jace is older than me by eleven months and the way our birthdays fall lands us both in the eleventh grade together. You can definitely say that it's a nightmare.

"He is certainly gorgeous! What abs!" her friend Diane agrees.

"Ladies," the teacher looks like she disapproves, "please focus on the lesson."

"Samantha,"my friend Joe whispers from beside me as if he feels my distress. I look up at him and make a face.

"What?"

"You okay?"

"Supposedly, yes," I shrug. I was so sick of girls freaking out about my brother. Especially his current girlfriend, Richelle. I mean seriously, what does he see in girls like that?

"Okay, just making sure."

"Thanks, Joe."

Mrs. Jonas puts a cubash on the conversation about my brother and continues teaching the new word to us all. I keep my face close to my arm just in case I need to hide my embarrassment again.

When the bell rings, I follow Joe out the door to go to lunch. He stays silent next to me as I mutter all types of complaints under my breath. I'm getting tired of listening to the cheerleaders. He is just a handsome boy for the love of Pete.

"Samanthaaa!!!" I hear Jace yell as I scurry to my table. I was hoping I could get there before he noticed me, but my bad luck always plays at just the wrong times.

"Just ignore him," Joe sighs, sitting down next to our friend Adam.

"You know I would love to, but I'm kind of obligated to talk to him," I remind him, shrugging my shoulders. He nods and looks down at his lunch while I stare off into space hoping that the footsteps I hear don't belong to who I think do.

"Hey, Sam," Jace grins as he approaches our table with his fellow bad boys behind him, boys who I know way more than I could ever want. He has four best friends, making a group of five very rambunctious guys.

"Ugh, what do you want?" I sigh, raising my eyebrows at him. He comes over and yanks me from my seat at the table to give me a gut-squishing hug. I let out a very unladylike grunt and try to push him away.

"I have something for you," he says, digging in his backpack to get me a paper sack. "Mom gave this to me a few minutes ago to give to you because apparently you forgot it."

"And you're actually doing something she asked you to do?" I gasp, acting completely shocked. "No way."

"Oh, shut up, Sam," he rolls his eyes and hands me the lunch sack. "You're not even going to thank me?"

"Thank you for being so thoughtful and skipping class so I could eat lunch today," I smirk, sticking my tongue out at him. "Have fun making up-"

"JACE!" Richelle calls from the other side of the lunch room, waving like a mad woman.

"Oh, crap," Jace looks up at the ceiling and sighs before he turns to his friends. "What should we do?"

"What do you wanna do?" one of his friends, Calvin, says.