Chapter 26 - I Could Really Use a Brain GPS Right Now

Is this really what heaven feels like?

Everything is black...not only black, but I can't feel anything. It's as if someone cut off the connection between my brain and my senses. I try to find my limbs, but the only think I can do is pretend. Where am I?

“Sam! Sam, you have to wake up,” a voice buzzes in my ears. I look up, but I see nothing. There's nothing around me to even grasp. I try and raise my hand to feel what's calling out to me, but I can't. There's nothing.

“Oh my-” I hear it again. “She's not even conscious. Get her in the freaking ambulance! She's dying!”

No, I'm fine, I try and argue. I've never been so painless in my life. Seriously, what are they talking about? If anything, I would really appreciate if they could get some feeling back in my body.

“Jace, we need you to step away. We need to calm the bleeding down before we move her. Let the EMTs take care of her. We will do everything possible to help her.”

Jace!

“I can't, I can't leave. She means everything to me,” I hear Jace cry. He sounds like he's in agony and I want to tell him that I am okay. Why can't he see that I'm fine?

“Get the boy out, too. He looks to be in the same shape she's in,” another unfamiliar voice orders. “We can call in another ambulance for whatever is left in that building. For now, we'll let the firefighters take care of it.”

“Help her, please!”

“Mr. McFarland, please step out of the way.”

“Jace, come with me. We'll meet them there.”

“Casey, I can't, I can't leave again. Look at what happened when I left the first time. She would never be here if I hadn't left her the first time. I can't leave again.”

“Jace, she won't be okay if you don't let them get to where they need to go!”

“Excuse me, Mr. McFarland.”

“Sir, there's been a report of two dead people in the building so far. Other investigations are being made.”

“Like I said, we mustn't worry about the building while we have these two. Once these two are off, we will attend to the others. It's better to assist the living first.”

“Yes, sir.”

Please, you have to help her.”

“Jace, calm down, please. You have to. If you go into an anxiety attack, it's not going to help this situation.”

“She's going to die!

“She's a fighter, Jace. She's going to be okay.”

I listen intently to each conversation, but I'm getting quite annoyed with my inability to respond. I need to let them know that I'm okay.

Things become very quiet except for some sobbing in the background. It's coming from two people, I can tell the difference in pitch, and it slowly fades away as my ears move into a new environment. There's a ton of beeping and I still try to fight my way through the blackness. I could really use a brain GPS right now.

“We have got to get the bleeding stopped or she's going to die,” I hear as feet are shuffling around.

“Sir, her leg seems to be fractured,” another says.

“That doesn't matter right now. We need to stop the bleeding immediately. They can fix that when we arrive at the hospital, but right now this is priority.”

How? I want to scream at them. How can I hear you but have no sense of control over my body?

I try and reach out into the darkness again, but this time I start to feel the blackness creeping into my eyes. Before now, I couldn't see anything. Now I am starting to not be able to hear anything and the blackness is gulping me up. With one last speck of energy, I think of Jace and wish I could comfort him.

It's going to be okay, Jace. It's going to be just fine.