Chapter 19 - Now Would Be a Great Time to Have Super Powers

The phone doesn't ring long, which is probably good because I really want to just hang up and pretend that he didn't answer. Much to my dismay, that is not going to happen.

“Ready for me to come get you?” Jace answers, obviously knowing it was me.

“Well, it's actually a little more complicated than that,” I say, biting my lip.

“What do you mean?” he asks casually. At a time of such panic, his calm state of mind was making me irritated.

“I mean me and Hadley are in her car speeding toward our house and we need you to meet us there,” I say, very upset.

“But Sam,” Jace whines. “The game hasn't even started yet. You can't do this to me.”

“I found the drug house.”

“YOU WHAT?”

“It's in the basement of Jacob Young's house and they know I know about it. Jace, please hurry.”

“Kasen and I are getting in the car right now,” he says and I hear Kasen let out a large groan.

“Come on, Jace, we haven't even gotten our tickets yet,” he whines like a little kid.

“Grow up and get your big boy pants in the car,” Jace says sternly.

“Jace, how long is it going to take?” I ask.

“We can make it in twenty minutes if we don't get pulled over by a cop,” Jace says. “We'll meet you at home. Have Hadley drop you off and I will be there as soon as I can.”

“Okay, hurry Jace. Goodbye,” I say hanging up my phone. Hadley looks at me and bites her lip.

“Sam? What did he say?”

“He's on his way.”

“Alright,” she nods. I start playing with the end of my shirt as my body keeps pulsing with adrenaline. I am freaking out so much. Hadley turns on the radio, but it doesn't help at all, thought listening to her sing does distract me some.

“We're almost home, Sam,” she says. “I can stay with you until Jace gets there.”

“No,” I say. “Thanks Hadley, but this one is way too dangerous. I don't want you to be in danger. You've already risked yourself enough for me and if you ever got hurt, I could never forgive myself.”

“Hey, it's what friends are for,” she says. I smile and give her a hug as best as I can while she's driving. She smiles at me and then focuses back on the road, which is one street away from my house.

Heaven help me.

“You can just drop me off on the curb,” I tell her. “I have a key to get in the house.”

“Lock all of the doors until Jace gets home,” Hadley tells me. “You need to be so careful.”

“I know,” I say. “I will. Thanks for everything. See you Monday?”

“Sounds good,” she says, pulling up to the sidewalk. I quickly get out and walk up to the door, waving at her one more time as she speeds off.

I open the door to the house with the key and slide in, locking it before I go anywhere else. I whirl around and almost have a heart attack.

Call down, Samantha, I tell myself. It's just a shadow. He's not here.

I get in the house and turn on a couple of lights to light up the place, feeling like I might die if I don't. It felt like I was in a horror movie just waiting for someone to come out and stab me to death.