III:

Florida Rd, Durban
Starbucks

Russell

I'm staring at her from far. I can't think straight. It's like she's taking up my mind filling pictures of her in my medula oblongota. I look at her. I like the way she reads and tilts her head from the left to see the words clearly as if they're alive and she's communicating with them.

"Earth to Russel." Linda says from behind me. I whip my head to look at her. She's wearing a smug look with her eyebrows curving a little upward.

Dammit. See saw me staring at the girl.

"What?" I ask frowning acting like I was obvious.

"Look who's talking." She lowers her voice and her eyes move to the girl who's reading at he back corner..
"You're really interested in her, hey?" She asks.

I shrug. Linda has always been minding my business. She is like my older sister.

"She doesn't look that bad. It's just that she's been reading like it was her last day on earth."

Her last day on earth.

I look at her and this time she's getting out a white journal with kaleidoscope star and comets on the front cover. She flickers her pen and turns to a middle page then writes something furiously.

She as not once looked up. I lindy of wish she did.

There's a story. She looks like a puzzle that needs to be solved. I don't want to judge her. I don't judge people from the distance.

But when I look at her...It looks as if she's fading. She needs someone to save her.

But first I need to know her name.

"Can you do me a favour?" I look at Linda. Her eyes widen.

"What?" She asks folding her arms.

"Can you please walk over to her. Ask her if she needs something to drink. Then ask for her name." I can't believe I just said that.

But I did.

"And what's my reward?" Linda asks her voice rising an inch.

"I'll make you free coffee for two days." I suggest.

Linda winks."Now you're talking." Then I watch her as she makes her way to where she's seated.

I see the girl raise her head slowly. I can't read her face- she's expressionless. Linda's head bins up and down indicating she's talking.

The girl nods her head and smiles sweetly. She shows the book to Linda. Then her lips move.

I read Nikita Gill from her perfect rich red lips and my stomach flutters.

I don't notice the customer standing in front of me waiting to order. "Oh sorry what would you like to order?" I ask.

After a minute of getting the orders Linda whisks back, her face glowing with happiness.

"She needs a glass of water. Oh and she's so adorable."She says.

"Don't forget to ask her name." I remind her.

Linda laughs. "Of course." Then she walks to the girl varying carrying a glass of water.

I gave the customer the order then they scurry off.

The door open and my friend Rad walks in a smile on his face.

"You won't believe it." He calls out causing a few heads to turn. He takes large strides to me. "Troye Sivan has a new song out." He tells me.

Rad likes Troyes Sivan. He says he is obsessed with his voice. He says too he is his lovechild.

Before I respond Linda is back.

"River. Her name is River." She tells me.

River.

That's all for today.
I'm busy registering at colleges for this year. Hope you all are good.

How does the name River sound?
☺😊