Chapter 8

"Mr. Potter! Could you please remove the antlers from your head?" Professor McGonagall demanded as the first years settled into their transfiguration class. James then looked at her with wide eyes and whispered, "I don't know how." 

Fortunately for him, McGonagall flicked her wand and they vanished. 

"The art of Transfiguration is a difficult one. I expect no slacking off in my class. Is that clear?" she asked him.

"Of course Minnie!" He thought, but actually said, "Yes ma'am" James, however, was sure he was going to be fine in this class. Well, this class and potions. His mum was extremely talented in Transfiguration, and his father was an expert potioneer. It was mainly charms and herbology he was slightly concerned about. He knew DADA would be easy as well. He came from a long line of Aurors after all.

Sirius smirked and said, "Professor? What is Transfiguration?" McGonagall glared at him and said, "For the third time Mr. Black, Transfiguration is the art of changing one thing into something else."

Remus then raised his head.  McGonagall was tempted to smile. "Yes, Mr. Lupin"

"What is the first spell we are going to be learning?"

"We will not be learning spells until the second quarter. First quarter we will be learning the transfiguration alphabet and we will be learning the transformation formula. Now, I want you all to get out some parchment and take notes as I explain the alphabet."

The students scrambled to get parchement and quills. James, however made no movements. Lily rolled her eyes, knowing he was probably going to make a snarky comment. He raised his hand. 

"Mr. Potter?" McGonagall stared sternly at him. 

"I already know the alphabet. I've known it since I was 4." James said, slightly embarrassed and slightly proud of himself. 

"Well, then, I'm sure you wouldn't mind writing it on the board?" McGonagall said, arms crossed. James stood up and grabbed the chalk. 

Needless to say, McGonagall was impressed

Needless to say, McGonagall was impressed. "Mr. Potter, what it the transformation equation?"

"t=((w*c)/(v*a))*z" James wrote on the board. McGonagall was stunned, for the first time in her career. But then, this boy was Euphemia Potter's son. They two of them had gone to school together and had both excelled at Transfiguration. She grabbed some worksheets and gave them to James to do while she taught the class the history behind the alphabet and the different symbols. 

After class, Sirius, Remus, and Peter came up to James and he ran his hand nervously through his hair. Sirius gave him a doggish like smile and said, "How come you didn't tell us you were a bloody genius?" 

James laughed and said, "Trust me. I'm just a genius in transfiguration and potions. Nothing else. My dad's family created the Sleekeazy's Hair Potion and my mum is a transfiguration queen. Absolutely loves it. She's an Auror so she finds any way she can use transfiguration in her job and does it."