Medein (Heart of Stone) - Unexpected

The art for Medein is from @RoseamongLilies who generously agreed to draw him for me! Thank you so much!!!

♥♥♥

I wanted to write this as a thank you to everyone who helped this book reach over 300,000 reads in just a few short years! Thank you for reading my oneshots and thank you for being so amazing a group of readers and just wonderful people in general! I appreciate each and every one of you for being a part of the journey of this book! I hope that this will continue for years to come!

So as a thank you, here is an alternate timeline oneshot for Medein (the male medusa) from my book, Heart of Stone. Kind of a "what if" type of scenario so as to not spoil the book itself. So don't worry, there are no real spoilers for those of you reading the book. I would not do that to you all, I love you too much! I hope you enjoy this bit of writing that my Muse allowed me to get done! (And yes, the Achilles oneshot will be next!)

♥♥♥

It had hurt when Tomas admitted to me how he'd almost left after the accident, when he had been watching me as the weeks slowly passed and wondering if I would ever wake up again. I'm not sure what I would have done if that had happened, my heart aching as I listened to him. But I'd listened, hearing each word spoken with anguish as he realized how close he had come to making that choice, to losing everything we had built together, even if the accident had meant we would have to make a lot of changes in our plans for the future.

Still, he had stayed with me, waiting for me to wake up and praying that I wouldn't look at him with hatred or regret for being with him. That I wouldn't blame him alone for what happened that night. The relief when I had opened my eyes had been short-lived, his eyes growing dark as his own regrets filled them with tears.

"Do you hate me?" The first words I heard when I awoke that day had me so confused, his voice choked with an intense guilt.

At first, I didn't understand what he meant, my hand slowly raising up to reach for him in comfort, but once I saw my arm I understood. Almost shining under the harsh lights of the room, the pattern of scars forming as cuts healed seemed to stand out all too clearly to my tired eyes.

"Tomas... What... What happened to me?" My voice sounded far too harsh to my ears, coughing as it hit me just how dry my throat was.

It was only after Tomas handed me the bottle of water he had brought back in with him, taking a few sips to sooth my throat, that I looked up again and saw the tears building in his eyes.

"It's my fault... You were on the phone with me when it happened. I made you take your eyes off the road. That's why you crashed! Because of me!" I couldn't even speak as I watched the tears finally begin flowing down his cheeks, his hands coming up as he grabbed his hair and pulled, looking like he was trying to tear himself apart in front of my eyes.

"NO! No Tomas, stop it! Just tell me what happened, please," I cried out, once again reaching towards him, grabbing at his nearest arm and pulling his hand away from his hair as I began to cry along with him.

I just ended up crying harder when I finally felt him place his arms around me, sitting carefully beside me on the bed and gently bringing one hand up to brush my hair out of my face as he held me. At first, I couldn't understand what he was saying, his voice so very soft under the sounds of the machines I had begun to notice humming in the background.

"You should hate me. I ruined your life, (y/n). I mean, look at what I did to you," his voice cracked as he whispered the words into my ear, his hand beginning to tremble as it ran down my back, finally resting at the base of my spine as he rested his chin on my shoulder.