Champion

Alex laid on the white ground completely still. He saw everything around him becoming a blur. The extreme cold made his body numb and his state of mind deplete in hope.

Everything around him had become nothing but a blank slate. He was part of a massive test to push the human body and mind. At least, that's what he thought.

The complete lack of colour distracted from what was truly important in his life. He didn't once think about his family as he sank into the snow, nor did he himself.

He hadn't eaten in days. Even before the blizzard hit he was struggling with his mental health. He would go for weeks without food in an attempt to lose weight.

He started reminiscing about those parts of his ordinary life. The immense cold made him believe he would soon freeze to death. So he thought about all of the bad things he has done to himself.

He had attempted suicide on many different occasions; he was a firm believer of that he wasn't wanted or needed in anyone's life. He had cut himself on many different occasions, whether that be during a mental breakdown or when he was feeling suicidal.

There were instances where he had attempted hanging himself and he's gone as far as to try and starve himself to death. Never in his life would he imagine that he would freeze to death.

And so, he slowly closed his eyes and held onto Theo tight as he accepts his fate. Until suddenly, something cold and wet pushed against Alex's hand. This continued happening and it distracted Alex from accepting his death.

With whatever strength he had left he lifted his head upwards and realised it wasn't an object that pushed against his hand; but the nose of a black and white furred shepherd dog. Alex tilted his head to the sight of a dog. He saw that the dog was malnourished and was holding up one paw.

He lifted his hand to stroke the dog. The dog leaned his head into Alex's hand as if it had never been petted before. The dog whimpered as he tried to set his paw in the snow.

"You've hurt your paw." Alex muttered as he looked at the dog. He thought at that moment how much this dog has been through, by the looks of him he was uncared for, left behind, not given love. Alex felt sorrow for the dog and wanted to help it.

He believed that the dog could help Alex stay sane in the freezing cold and it would remind him of his goal to return to his family. He looked up at the dog and stroked him again before planting his hands into the snow and lifting his upper body.

He turned himself around and started dragging his body back towards the direction of his house. The dig followed close beside him and whimpered with every step.

"It won't hurt for much longer, I promise." Alex aimed at the dog as he left himself panting from dragging all of his weight. All if a sudden the dog lays down on his stomach and goes under Alex's arm.

Alex used the dog's support to get himself on his knees. He smiled widely and cupped the dog's face into his hands and put his forehead against the dog's.

"Thank you." He whispered. The dog simply licked Alex's nose, making Alex smile like a madman. Alex then stood back up with Theo still in his hand and began walking back to his house with the dog.

Once he had arrived at the house he decided to get some band aids for the dog's damaged paw. He travelled up to his bedroom and opened up a first aid box and walked back down the stairs to the dog. The thin animal was laying on the wooden floor panting heavily.

Alex got down onto one knee and started to fix up the dog's paw; causing the dog to whimper and squirm.

"You're a really great dog. Taking the pain and helping me despite being hungry and hurting." Alex smiled as he continued fixing up the dog's paw. He looks at his neck and realises he isn't wearing a collar.

"No collar. Well I guess I'll have to give you a name." Alex giggles to himself. "Knowing all you've done and all you've been through, you're quite the champion." Alex stops himself as he finishes fixing up the dog's paw.

"That's it." Alex smiles. "Champion." He glares at the dog as he wags his tail quickly.

"You like the name, Champion?" Alex asks with joy filling his heart. Champion starts jumping around and barking in excitement before he starts licking Alex's face. Alex falls onto the wooden floor with a large smile stretched completely across his face.

As soon as Champion had stopped licking him, Alex pulled out a few bottles of water from his and Oscar's gym bags and he filled a plastic bowl with some water and gave it to Champion. He started drinking the water very quickly from the bowl as Alex drank from one of the bottles.

Alex had worked out that with how many bottles he owned; they only had enough water to last for about four days. This would mean he would either: search other houses or take water from a lake near by that was probably frozen due to the extreme cold.

He realised the same thing about his food supply. Seeing as Oscar and Anne had most if the food with them it would mean that Alex, yet again, had two options. He could, again, search a house; or he could hunt for food. Alex didn't want to resort to hunting but it might be the key to saving his, or Champion's life.

After drinking some water and eating a small portion of bread Alex and Champion went upstairs to the bedroom. Alex wrapped himself up as much as possible and Champion laid next to him on the bed and they both drifted to sleep.