Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

"There are portals around the world that aren't visible to anyone except supernatural creatures, for humans nothing will seem unusual about a certain place." He drives over a bridge and my eyes focus on the flowing river underneath. "Mainly located in less crowded areas like forests or mountains."

I nod in reply, processing the information. "Can you transform into your wolf at any time?"

"No." He shakes his head as we finally enter the city. "The moon controls us regular werewolves so when there is a full one, we can shift. Lycans can shift whenever they want."

"Is that not slightly unfair though? I mean, Lycans can shift and protect themselves whenever but common wolves can't? Doesn't that leave you guys vulnerable?" I frown, playing with his fingers absentmindedly.

Kaden chuckles in reply, shrugging half-heartedly. "Lycans came first Luna, meaning that they have years of experience in controlling their beasts. Werewolves tend to lose their temper quite quickly, on a full moon they shift in an instant should anything piss them off, our beasts can easily takeover because we don't have that much control over them. It's something we are still learning."

"What do you mean by years of experience?" I look at him in a dubious manner.

"Lycans are practically ancient...like three hundred years plus ancient." He smirks when I gasp, my jaw dropping as I struggle to comprehend what he just said.

I remain quiet for a few seconds, staring at him. Kaden's features are free from any aging, his hair dark and healthy in addition to a body I had seen myself that was fit and toned. He glances over at me, catching my narrowed and suspicious gaze before his loud laughter booms in the confines of his Mustang.

"Trust me Luna, I would tell you if I was born in the stone age." He rolls his eyes playfully, a wide smile on his lips.

"What age are you then?" I ask, watching his hand curl around my thigh. I think he preferred to be touching me or holding me in some way whenever we were together. 'Maybe it's a werewolf thing?' I wonder to myself.

"Twenty-six"

"Hmm, I'm only twenty-one." I smile, noticing that we had arrived at our destination.

I hop out of the car as soon as Kaden shuts off the engine, meeting him at the front. He smiles, hand outstretched for me to take and when I do, he pulls me into his side before we walk into the diner together. As always there is some upbeat music playing, Kaden and I waving to Rosie who beams at us in reply.

We choose a booth by the window, picking up the menu and deciding on what to have for breakfast. Rosie comes by shortly and greets us with a wide smile, her familiar scent of strawberries welcoming me. We chat for a bit, catching up but with me mostly blushing because Rosie decided that the topic of our future children would be a good idea.

I order the waffles with fruit and a coffee, thanking Rosie as she takes my menu away. Kaden orders next, rattling off blueberry pancakes, scrambled eggs with a side of bacon and orange juice. He thanks Rosie before she walks away, winking at me which makes me chuckle.

Suddenly, his phone rings making him frown and take it out of his jean pocket. He stares down at the number before looking up at me. "Sorry Luna, I have to take this. Will you be okay?"

"Of course, go answer it." I smile reassuringly, watching as he walks out of the diner.

I fiddle with the salt shaker, almost dropping it when my phone vibrates. I pick it up and grin when I see that my brother, Nick, has texted me. He asks me if we can video chat but I reply that I am currently out in town and that we can talk tonight.