I grabbed her arm.  "I'm serious.  Come with me now."

                Catherine yanked her arm out of my grip.  "I need to go home.  I can't study today."

                "This isn't about studying."

                "Then what—?"

                I moved closer so that I was right next to her ear, and I said quietly, "I know."

*

So, on that creepy note, it didn't take much convincing to get Catherine to follow me to my car and get inside.  We were silent for most of the trip.  The only time she talked was to tell me to make a left, already guessing I was trying to find my way to the park.

                There were kids there again, maybe the same ones as before, completely oblivious.  The elementary school must've been nearby, though I'd never seen it.

                Once I'd parked and turned off Todd, it was completely silent.  I stared ahead so that Catherine didn't feel scrutinized, waiting until she felt ready to talk. 

                It was in the car that I suddenly saw a huge problem.

                But, first, my phone buzzed in my pocket, making us jump.

                "My mom," I said before answering.  "Hey, Mom."

                "Did you say you were going to stay after school?"

                "I said maybe.  I'm with Catherine at the park."  She turned to me, immediately frantic, but I patted her hand.  "She's helping me with my math.  Don't tell anybody."

                "Catherine… Connor?  Isn't she a sophomore?"

                I groaned.  "Yes.  That's why I said don't tell anybody."

                She laughed.  "Okay, then.  Try not to stay out too late.  Maybe her mother might want her back home soon."

                "Yeah, it's no problem."

                "Okay then.  Be careful."

                "We will."

                "Bye."

                "Bye."  I hung up my phone.  "We're kind of on a time-limit."

                Catherine was staring at me.  "How did you do that?"

                "Do what?"

                "Act like… nothing was wrong."

                "That's kind of my thing."

                She didn't know what to say to that.  She turned back to her hands, placed limply on her lap.  She looked so tiny in my car.

                "You don't have to say anything," I said quietly.  "I know what he's been doing.  No, he did nothing to me.  She might approve of me telling you, so—"

                "Who might approve?"

                "Charlie.  He raped her earlier this week."