Chapter Twenty-Six

Happy New Year!

"Did...Did you know my mother?"

Rocky nodded, "Yes, I was by your mother's side for her entire life."

Jay and Zane glanced at each other, Zane said, "We'll let you have some privacy. Come find us when you're ready."

They left Cole and Rocky alone at the waterfall's base, he looked up at his ancestor and asked, "Could you please tell me about my mom?" Cole's memories of his mother were faint, he barely remembered her voice, her smile, her hugs. His father didn't like to talk about her, the only exception being on the Day of the Departed. He was only four years old when she passed away.

"Your mother was the kindest person I had ever met. She had a smile that could melt the iciest of hearts, a laugh that could clear away the clouds, and the bravery that could only be matched by the First Spinjitzu Master himself," Rocky said.

"She loved exploring the world; from getting up at dawn to watch the sunrise to staying up past dusk to stare at the stars, she loved to climb mountains and get down and dirty. She had the strength to break a tree in half but the softness to cradle you in her arms."

Cole struggled to swallow as his throat tightened to an uncomfortable level, his bottom lip started to quiver as Rocky described his beloved mother. Rocky grew concerned, "I'm upsetting you, should I stop?"

Cole shook his head, "No, please... please continue."

"Your mother never liked to stay in one place for too long, she wanted to explore all of Ninjago! There was only one-time that she stayed in a city for more than a few weeks."

"When was that?"

"When she met your father."

Rocky sighed, "Your mother was twenty-three when she met Lou. She was on a cross-country tour and decided to stop by Shihon to meet with a friend. Her friend had tickets to see an up-and-coming quartet called the Royal Blacksmiths and convinced your mother to go with her. Rachel, your mother, was a little reluctant to go; they had been all over the city the whole day and she was a bit exhausted, but she decided to go anyways. They sat down at a table directly in front of the stage and chatted for a few minutes as the final preparations were made.

"The lights dimmed as an announcer called out 'Let's give a big welcome to the Royal Blacksmiths!' One-by-one the stage lights came on, illuminating each of the singers, Lou was the last one to be shown. As the first song started, your father's eyes wandered across the darkened audience until he found your mother's. I could tell he was enamored with her immediately, I could say the same about Rachel as well.

"After the performance had finished, Lou, a blushing mess, came stumbling out from backstage, constantly running his fingers through his hair. He stumbled over his words, tapping his toes to an imaginary beat until your mother finally asked him out for a drink. They went to a nearby bar, had a few drinks, exchanged numbers, and met up again a few days later. And a few days after that. And a few days after that. They could not stay away from one another. Your parents decided to get a small apartment in the city only a few months after they started dating. Lou would serenade your mother almost every day, as well as being completely awestruck when she worked out."

Rocky started to chuckle, "I will never forget the time your mother actually bench-pressed Lou; she was laughing so hard at his screaming, tears were streaming down her face until she couldn't breathe. She set him down and practically collapsed onto the floor, howling with laughter. Lou was paler than snow, trembling like a leaf, but he never stopped supporting her. She never stopped supporting him and his group."