XV - Sin

Pain burned my veins like fire and I fought not to groan. I tried to curl up on my side and found that I was restrained, my body strapped down to a hard metal table. The cold steel felt good against my skin, but that small relief wasn't enough.

I cracked my eyes opened and shut them tightly against the bright lights that hovered over me. Where the hell was I now? I struggled, trying to free myself from the straps that held me down. It was useless. I was too weak and the straps were too tight.

The dull roar that had filled my ears finally started to fade, allowing me to hear more of my surroundings. Machines beeped and whined. The sounds of humans, two of them, rustling as they moved around the room. One stood close by.

I opened my eyes a little to look at them, but couldn't see much as whoever it was stood against the light.

Hunger gnawed at me, bringing my focus back. I struggled against the straps uselessly. Where was Lex?

"I do not understand, Christina. He is a vampire! He is dead. How can he then have a fever?"

"You must do something! We're running out of time. His skin is starting to ash." Christina's voice came from beside me, panicked. Why would she be so concerned over me? Didn't she want me dead?

The pain grew sharper causing me to arch against the straps. I screamed. I'd never felt anything like this before. The new pain, the burning in my veins was a million times worse than the feeling of silver in my blood.

"That didn't work, Trey!" Christina yelled.

"I don't know what I'm doing!" There was the sound of glass shattering and a rushed curse.

"What about that other vampire, Alexander?" the one Christina had called Trey said. "Was he not about to do something when you found them earlier? Wouldn't he know what to do?"

I felt Christina's presence leave my side. Across the room, there was the sound of metal scraping against metal, the clicks of locks, and the soft hush of air being released.

"Alexander, rise." Christina's words were crisp and clear.

The sound of rustling cloth followed and the soft whisper of a voice. "Madam."

My heart soared. Lex was safe; still captive, but safe. I sagged against the restraints, releasing the tension I hadn't realized I had been holding.

I was exhausted, and the burning pain in my veins was starting to fade. I felt peace within reach, but...

I hesitated. I didn't want to leave Lex.

Christina's voice cut through the haze. "He is fading quickly, Alexander, and I do not wish to lose him. You know more about him than you've told me. I can feel it. Tell me how to save him. Now."

I focused on Lex, not letting my attention slip as it wavered on the brink of unconsciousness. I could see his outline against the bright lights that blurred my vision. Lex...

"He needs blood, Madam."

Trey scoffed. "Vampires can survive without blood, even if they are injured gravely-"

"But not Sin," Lex explained. "The magic that animates Sin is slightly different than what animates any other vampire. While I can withstand the touch of silver with mild discomfort, the touch of silver to Sin is debilitating. Introduce it into his bloodstream, and the silver will actually eat away at the magic that allows him to live past his mortal death. He needs to feed, Madam. The fresh blood will help him fight the silver in his system and keep him alive."

There was silence between them, the only noise being the sound of the mechanics. I could feel my mind slipping away towards a lighter place. A place I should have gone to hundreds of years ago.

An alarm sounded; a piercing shrill that faded to nothing.