VIII - Carrie

The sky was starting to brighten in the east, and out in the woods, I could hear the birds singing their morning songs. I waited, running my hand along the window sill. It reminded me of the countless times I'd sat with Paul watching the sunrise after one of his gigs. We'd talked until sleep insisted we stop.

I could still hear the words he'd always save for last. I love you, Carrie.

The door opened and Kain slunk into his room, a not so happy look on his face.

"A little early, aren't you? It's not dawn yet," Kain said as he made his way over to his closet. He turned the light on and stepped inside.

"Almost." I couldn't understand how some of the others couldn't tell the difference between Jonathan and Kain. They were completely different in the way they talked, the way they held themselves. Like flipping a light switch in a dark room, it was completely blinding.

Kain stepped out of the closet, dressed in thin linen trousers and a light cotton button down. Even the way they dressed was different.

He walked right past me and over to the coffin that took up half the room. He ran a hand along its dark surface before lifting the lid. With a superhuman speed, he hopped up and settled himself in the silky interior.

Kain looked to me then, holding an arm out awkwardly on the side of the coffin. "The you might want to hurry. The last thing I'd like to do is deal with him escaping, or worse, trying to use my power again."

I held back a sigh of disdain for the vampire and went to the night stand. Opening the little case that held the syringe and vial of sedative, I filled the syringe with what we hoped was the correct dosage. The instructions one of the wolves had given me were for using the sedative on other shifters. They had never thought about having to use it on a vampire.

"Please, go as slow as you can." Kain's voice was full of sarcasm.

I looked back over to see Kain glaring at me over the edge of his coffin. I slowed my actions a little more, not caring about his impatience. I knew what would happen at sunrise. Absolutely nothing. It took at least an hour before Jonathan would be able to wake up and move. I wasn't sure what caused the delay, because the transfer in the evening from Jonathan to Kain was almost an instant switch in personality.

His gazed narrowed at me. "Any time now."

I gave him the drugs and watched as he first tensed, then relaxed as I put the syringe away.

Kain waved me off. " You can go now," he said, and pulled the top of the coffin down, closing the lid.

I stayed, taking my seat by the window, waiting until I could see the sun above the trees of the forest.

Getting up, I pushed opened the lid of the coffin and checked Jonathan's sleeping form. Making sure that he was still resting well. The drugs would keep him asleep most of the day, but only if I dosed him every four to five hours.

A bird chirped loud enough to startle me, it sounded like it was in the room. But when I looked around, I found the little, bright yellow finch sitting on the outside of the window sill. It puffed a few more chirps and flew away as I settled into my chair for the day.