IV- Remi

I followed Jay into the room, hoping I wouldn't pick up a disease from touching the door handle. The motel was grimy, not well kept, and on the verge of being condemned.

"We're seriously going to stay here?"

Jay turned to look at me after tossing his bag on the twin bed nearest to the door. "It was the closest place to that Mac Mansion Seth's staying at, so don't give me crap about it."

I let the door shut behind me and moved towards the other bed. The room was tiny, barely fitting the two twins, a small table and set of chairs by the window and door. The bathroom in the back looked like it hadn't seen a bar of soap in a decade.

Setting my duffel carefully on the end of the bed, I grabbed the remote for the TV before lounging across the bed. I flipped the TV on, staring at it as Jay did his usual thing of checking every single crack and cranny of the place.

I didn't understand how Seth could just run off like he did. In fact, I had trouble understanding the whole situation. Seth was risking everything for his brother. I couldn't imagine doing something like that for any of my family.

"Right, you know the drill," Jay said, drawing my attention to where he now stood by the door. "Don't leave unless I contact you, no crazy magics, wild sex, or drugs."

I rolled my eyes at him and turned up the volume on the TV. "Sure."

Jay left, pulling the door shut behind him. I flicked a finger at it, sending a bit of power to flip the chain latch and deadbolt. I settled in, waiting for a few minutes in case Jay decided to come back before I switched off the TV.

I listened to the silence. It was still mid-morning, not many people had checked into the small middle of nowhere motel.

Opening my bag, I spilled out the books I'd brought with us. The one I wanted was old, the most treasured of all the few that I'd managed to smuggle out of the main library at my parent's house. It was a brown, leather-bound, handmade volume, all the gold leafing that had embossed and decorated its cover had long since been worn away.

It was a journal, from one of the most powerful Hewitts who'd ever been born, Delaire Hewitt. It was filled with his thoughts on life, and the spells that he'd been able to come up with, some of which are commonly taught to all of us now who were born with the power. But what I loved about it the most, was that the last person to hold the book in possession before my family locked it away in the library, wrote annotations all through it. Explaining, tweaking some of the more complex spells, adding insights and their own thoughts to what Delaire had to say. It made it easier to understand and study.

I pulled the book closer with reverence, brushing off the cover. Flipping through the pages, I found where I'd left off last time, and laid the book out in front of me.

With the room quite, and no one around, this was the perfect time to get some practice in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Another chapter for you! I've had a not so spectacular day, so to cheer my spirits up I went ahead and shared this one with you a little early. Remi is by far one of my top favorite of my characters. I'm even working on a prequel short story that is all his own. :) 

Please remember to vote and comment if you enjoyed the update! 

-J.D.