Chapter 10. Progression

Start from the beginning

"How're you feeling?" I asked as I sat down next to Wendy's bed on a small chair.

"Alright. The bandages itch though and the smell is gonna be the death of me." Wendy joked with a small chuckle as she subconsciously itched the bandages on her neck but her smile faded.

"What's wrong?" I asked, taking Wendy's hand in a comforting way.

Wendy sighed, "I can still feel his hands."

Wendy's eyes fell down to her arm which still had bruises on it, it hurt me too.

"If only I hadn't run off. Gajeel and the rest of the team wouldn't have gotten hurt." Wendy said sadly.

"It wasn't your fault, Wendy. Everyone just underestimated Midnights abilities." I reassured her.

Wendy gave me a small smile an nodded but I knew that it was fake.

Our heads both turned to the side as the door clicked open again and a nurse come in with a tray of food so I got up.

"I'll give you some privacy while you eat. I need to check on Gajeel." I told Wendy as I made my way to the door and the nurse gave her the tray.

Wendy mumble a small 'alright' before I left the room and closed the door behind me.

I continued down the hallway and made it to the room where Gajeel was staying in.

I had to scan my identity card on a scanner before entering the room and closing the door behind me.

Gajeel was still asleep like he had been since they brought him in that night.

I took a seat next to his beaten form and took his large hand in my own, it pained me to see him like that.

His shoulder had been dislocated, he had taken a minor blow to the head and one if his ribs had been broken.

I let out a shaky sigh as I checked his vitals, I couldn't help it, I just needed to know for myself if everything was going alright.

I sat back down and took his hand again before carefully pushing some of his hair out of his face.

I smiled at Gajeel even though he would have no way of knowing that I was ever here.

I held his hand in between mine and let out another soft sigh.

---

No ones POV

Early that morning, after getting no sleep since the team returned with Midnight, Gray decided to go visit Natsu again.

Gray hadn't seen Natsu since Natsu had his strange out burst towards him and he felt bad but knew that he needed some space.

Gray scanned his identity card and knocked on the heavy metal door before hesitantly pushing it open.

Gray poked his head into the room before fully entering to find Natsu sitting at the small dining table by the window.

Natsu looked up as Gray entered the room and carefully placed his teacup back down onto its saucer.

Natsu seemed surprised by Grays presence but another emotion seemed to swirl through his muddled orbs.

Natsus hair seemed to slowly start growing back but still passed as stubble.

His injuries appeared to be recovering smoothly as well which was a relief to Gray but he had dark bags under his eyes.

"Why are you here?" Natsu asked Gray softly and Gray felt his breath get caught in his through.