[ 16 ]

BOOK 1, Chapter 16

•••••••

Lola held Paul's hand as they drove around Port Angeles trying to find the restaurant she had looked up earlier and had made reservations for.

"Where are you taking me?" Paul asked again.

"I'll tell you when I find it," Lola grinned in embarrassment.

Paul laughed and helped her find the restaurant and a parking space. It was a cute little Chinese restaurant. It didn't have that many people

"I've been here before," Paul commented as they walked in hand in hand.

"Oh, good," Lola responded as a waiter showed them to their table. "Then you can tell me what's good."

Paul laughed and nodded. They settled into their seats and looked through the menus first before they began talking and ordered.

"So I'm guessing you like Chinese food?" Paul asked with a raised brow.

"Yeah," Lola said in a high voice. "That and the other restaurants were full."

Paul laughed. "Yeah. Most people prefer eating Chinese at home than at the restaurant. And Chinese food is more popular among the older generations."

"That's tragic," Lola unapologetically stated as she took a sip of her lemonade. "How else is one supposed to have fun?"

"Just how many dates have you been on?" Paul wondered, a little jealous. He had taken her words in the wrong way.

Lola raised an eyebrow. "Not enough," she sassed. Then she relaxed. "But that's not what I meant. I love to go to restaurants because of the people. You can make up stories about people and the best part is you can be right about some people."

Paul thought about it and looked around. He saw a bunch of random people, each different than the rest.

"You see that couple over there?" she quietly asked, discreetly motioning to her left. "She doesn't want people to know they're together. So she brought him to the one place she knows she won't get caught. He's probably not accepted in her social circle."

Paul had been discreetly looking at the couple and could believe what Lola told him. The girl was wearing nice clothes that fit her figure well and her makeup was well done. She kept looking around her and fidgeted with her hands. The boy was scrawny, good looking but clearly not someone she associates with based on his work and faded clothing. He looked completely smitten with the girl and was oblivious to her nervous attitude.

He turned to look at his date to see her sipping her drink as she looked at the rest of the people around them.

"You're something else, you know that?" he told her as he too took a sip of his drink.