[ 14 ]

BOOK 1, Chapter 14

•••••••

Lola reread her results one more time before taking in a deep breath. With shaky breaths, she sent a message to her father telling him to make an appointment for the kidney transplant. She was a match.

After the message sent. She turned off her phone and decided to try and clear her head.

She headed downstairs to the kitchen and decided to make something to eat. She put up her hair and searched for any ingredients to make Chicken Alfredo. When she realized she didn't have anything but the olive oil, salt, and pepper, she resolved to head to the local grocery store in Forks.

When she pulled up, she received many looks. Some appreciative, some jealous, and others were just curious. She didn't pay them any attention and just got a cart and started searching for the ingredients.

She was in the aisle where the pasta sauces were when she bumped into something hard and cold.

"Oh, I'm so sorry dear," a sweet angelic voice spoke.

Lola's initial reaction was to curse because what kind of person was as hard as marble and as cold as ice? She didn't curse out of politeness but when she turned to see who she had bumped into, she tensed.

"Are you alright?" the caramel haired vampire asked.

"Don't pretend to care," Lola muttered quietly. "You're a predator, don't pretend you're anything but that."

And with that, Lola grabbed the pasta sauce she needed and left the taken aback, golden-eyed vampire to her business.

•••••••

"Amor prohibido nos dice todo el mundo—"

The sound of knocking at the door had Lola groan in the middle of her singing and cooking. Her mother was off at work making up for the hours she missed. Jesus was still learning how to control himself since he seemed to lose control faster than Paul. Carmen was hanging out with Brady in an effort to socialize more after their mother had told her to.

Lola swung open the door, an annoyed look on her face, and was ready to tell off whoever had interrupted Selena but stopped short when she saw a familiar face.

"Paul?"

"You look hot," he muttered distractedly.

Lola didn't think she looked that great. She had her hair clipped up and was wearing washed out pants and a tank top with holes. A dirty apron covered her clothing.

"Have you slept?" she asked, though the blush gave away how flattered she was. Then she stepped to the side and motioned for him to come inside. "I'm making Chicken Alfredo, you like?"

Paul shrugged as he followed Lola into the kitchen. Since he was tired, Lola and he didn't talk. Instead, he watched with a lazy smile as she returned to singing in Spanish and cook at the same time. He enjoyed how her hips swayed and how she turned and pretended she was performing on stage.

"You want a big plate or normal one?" Lola asked as she got ready to serve him a plate. She didn't even give him a chance to answer. "Why am I even asking? You can eat a seven meal course for two."

"I'll try not to take offense to that," Paul sarcastically commented. He greedily accepted his full plate though.

"Damn," Lola whispered after she took her first bite. "Gets better each time I do it."