[ 06 ]

BOOK 1, Chapter 6

❝ A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough. ❞

•••••••

Saturday night came quickly, too quickly in Lola's opinion.

She and her siblings were getting ready in their own rooms, having already gotten permission from their mother. She refused to accompany them, claiming to be tired and too lazy to go. The kids knew there was more to it, but let it go.

"Hello?" Lola yawned into her phone.

"Hey," Embry's voice greeted back. "So I just got back from Jake's."

"Was that white girl there? Brenda was it?" Lola asked, pulling on her pants.

"Bella," Embry corrected with a laugh. "And yes, she was there. She just radiates awkward and totally friend zoned Jake right in front of me and Quil."

Lola laughed at Jake's unfortunate luck. "A man of color at the mercy of a white woman. What a fucking tragedy. But I sympathize. Unrequited love is a pain. Well, I'm assuming. Never been in love myself."

"Twenty says you'll fall in love soon," Embry bet.

"You're on," Lola smirked. She was sure she wasn't going to fall in love with anyone here.

"Are you going somewhere?" Embry asked, hearing her slam her foot down on the floor in an attempt to put her foot in her boot.

"Yeah," Lola exhaled. "My siblings and I got invited to the beach by Paul. Something about a bonfire I think. You should come."

"Nope," Embry immediately denied. "Only members of the council and the cult can go. Plus, I'm not even Quileute, I'm Makah."

"Don't say I never invite you to hang out with me," Lola sassed.

A knock on her bedroom door tore Lola away from Embry's laughter. She turned to see her brother's head. "Lola, you ready?"

"Yeah," she told her brother. "Em, I gotta call you back. Most likely tomorrow."

"Sure thing. Have fun!"

Carmen wasted no time in bounding down the stairs, pecking Alejandra's cheek, and racing out the door in the direction of the beach. Jesus and Lola quickly followed suit, not wanting to lose sight of their youngest sibling. They jogged after her and only stopped when they reached the beach and saw her head for the giant fire where they could see shapes.

Once they neared the site and the shapes became more decipherable, they saw Carmen on Sam's shoulders and Emily feeding them. Jared was also there, with a pretty looking girl and their eyes were in an intense stare off before Jared started peppering her with kisses, making her giggle. Harry and Sue Clearwater were also there, along with an old man who looked wise beyond his years, and the man in the wheelchair who had shown up at their house earlier that week, screaming at their mother: Billy Black.

"What's he doing here?" Jesus growled.

Lola immediately turned her brother so his back was to the bonfire and his gaze was on her. "Don't. He's probably on the council, so that means we have to be respectful."

"I'm not going to respect him!" Jesus roared. It garnered the attention of the three shifters not that far away.

"I didn't tell you to!" Lola bit back. "You need to calm down. Carmen obviously likes Sam, and she wants to be here. So calm down, put on your big boy pants, and suck it up. For Carmen."