The Hand Holding Experiment Pt. 3 [Whouffaldi]

Start from the beginning

"Could you be a different form? Anything but her?" He requested. The hologram smiled slightly in victory, then returned back to an emotionless look.

"Was it for her own good?" Her voice sent a chill up his spine. The hologram blinked twice, but it's gaze never left him.

"Shut up." The Doctor finally said, the chalk in his hand snapping into two in the middle of him circling the words Telepathic Waterfalls on the chalkboard. His eyes pierced into the hologram of Clara, but the hologram was not a person; it stared, back, equally as hard, challenging him. He could imagine the fight they would have, it would probably be this.

"You know, you never really asked her. You erase her memory when she gets too close, or if you are too impatient. She has been here for two years; with your rate, she could be here for five. When will you finally stop?

"No, no, this one is going to be perfect, I assure you." The Doctor said, waving his hand dismissively. "I calculated every possible scenario and this just cannot fail."

"You call me a machine, yet you believe a specific set of variables will work when the uncertainty is always a factor." The Doctor clenched his fist around the chalk, allowing it to turn to bits and pieces, then to just mere dust. He tossed the dust to the side, walking down to the console.

"I'm always right," The Doctor said, "I know what I'm doing."

"No, Doctor, you do not. When will you ever listen to yourself?" The Doctor flipped some switches and forced the TARDIS interface to disappear. He could still hear the TARDIS' disappointed sounds, but he blocked them out.

He sighed and peered down at his hands, one was dusty white from the chalk. Why was it so easy for his previous incarnations to do this? It was just holding hands. He had loves and companions in the past who held hands with him. This shouldn't be a problem, but it was. Perhaps it was because his new set of regeneration made everything new to him, including the mere notion of holding hands. He clenched his fists tightly, enough for the knuckles to begin to turn white.

Experiment one hundred and twelve. Two years of calculations and much uncertainty, but he was sure he finally got it down. It would be perfect.

But to be fair, he's been saying that ever since experiment one.

--

Clara stumbled into the console room an hour later, wearing a maroon dress that was a bit short. She wore tights, boots, and her hair was up in a ponytail, but her bangs were still in her face. She looked like perfection to the Doctor's eyes, but he didn't have time to admire. He jumped from his platform and went about explaining everything of the planet, but noted that Clara was only half-listening. Her mind was clearly thinking of something else, but he continued on, pretending to be absolutely oblivious. He couldn't risk failing experiment one hundred and twelve. He took her hand in his and he swore she flinched, but ignored it. He opened the TARDIS doors and allowed her to take in the scenery.

It was kind of like Hobbiton, in New Zealand. The entire planet was covered head to toe with greenery and there were some people out and about. Most of them were the size of a small Oompa Loompa, the tallest one in the vicinity was to Clara's waist. They had pale blue skin, with antennas coming from their heads. Besides that, they looked fairly human.

The Doctor stepped out onto the grassy plains, but Clara stayed in.

"Clara?" The Doctor turned, suddenly looking nervous. Clara did her best to look the very definition of composed just as the Doctor did his best to hide his nerves. They were faking each other.

"Ah, I forgot something. I'll be right back." She closed the door on him, despite his look of shock, then called, "TARDIS interface, please." Just like before, the TARDIS interface came alive, this time, using the body of the Doctor as a way of communication. The TARDIS hologram stood in all his glory in front of the console, his perfect likeness captured by the TARDIS.