09. part 1 I Have Pepper Spray And A Fork And I'm Not Afraid To Use It

"Ring, Ring, Ring."

Why do sounds like these always wake me up? Couldn't I sleep like a sloth for 18 hours and not be bothered by calls, texts and alarms?

I sit up a little and look at the time. 10:00!

Why are people waking me up so early?

I look at the call still ringing on.

Unknown Number

I picked it up. What? Don't judge. I love pranking the advertising companies for solar panels or home security.

You can say weird stuff to them and they'll hang up themselves.

"Hello?" I say.

"Lyss. Hi-I uh um...am waiting outside right now. And uh yeah. When-when are you coming outside?" A nervous voice came from the other side. Cole.

"Well I expected you to know my phone number so you could call me but how do you know my address?"

"Um...I...uh-"

"No don't answer that, I know." I say. "But why are you outside my house?"

"We are supposed to go see my mother today. Don't you remember?" He asks.

Oh shit, because of that whole thing with Sid being in an I totally forgot about going to Rosa's.

"No, yeah I totally remember." I say. "I'll come down in ten minutes.

I rush and do everything in the morning I can possibly do.

I grab two granola bars, my purse, and gum for the car ride and walk down the stairs impossibly fast in high heels.

I see Cole parked with his shiny, black Mustang. He still had the same favorite car brand.

I didn't care about cars though, I cared only for my baby-my motorcycle.

Cole quickly runs out of the car to open the passenger side door for me.

"Uh thanks." I say.

"Y...Yeah. No problem. No problem at all. Thanks for coming."

I get into the car and Cole starts driving.

You know when there's this comfortable silence in the car and it's so nice and quiet and... well comfortable.

This was not the comfortable silence type of ride. This rise was super awkward with no music playing on the radio either.

Cole would clear his throat every few seconds as if he wanted to say something but stopped himself from saying it.

"Uh...It's really nice weather outside today."

I give him a look that says, "Really? How's the weather. That's what you come up with after 30 minutes of sitting there?"

I refrain from saying something bad and instead put a fake smile on my face.

"Yeah. The weather's just fantastic." Just fan-fucking-tastic.

Cole frowns but doesn't say anything.

I decide to eat my granola bars then. What? I'm hungry and I like granola bars.

Don't. Judge. Me.

I unwrap one and stay munching on it.

Mmmmm. So good. The chocolate and the nuts and mmmmm. I feel like a unicorn with two horns in heaven.

"Want one?" I ask.

No way I'm giving him my bar. Just an empty gesture I'm hoping he refuses.

He looks a bit amused but keeps his laughter.